innovation

How do I best watch Amazon Prime and Google Play?

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 pm

I recently purchased a large flatscreen TV as a surprise for our children. We don't really watch TV much, but we do watch movies on Google Play and now Amazon Prime.

I own an old Rasp Pi B+ which is terribly slow, but was my intro to Linux which I now use extensively. I was thinking about hooking a RPi to the new TV to stream from Google and Amazon. What I'm unsure about is:

1. I'd upgrade my RPi to a model 3 from my old model, but will it be enough to work decently (without video lag or issues)?
2. Should I do it via Kodi or use a regular RPi distribution with Chromium? I did mess around with XBMC but never got it fully functional. I have some laptops running Ubuntu and Mint that play movies no problem via a web browser.
3. I'd take any other related suggestions or advice.

Thank you! :D :D :D

fruitoftheloom

Re: How do I best watch Amazon Prime and Google Play?

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:31 pm

innovation wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 pm
I recently purchased a large flatscreen TV as a surprise for our children. We don't really watch TV much, but we do watch movies on Google Play and now Amazon Prime.

I own an old Rasp Pi B+ which is terribly slow, but was my intro to Linux which I now use extensively. I was thinking about hooking a RPi to the new TV to stream from Google and Amazon. What I'm unsure about is:

1. I'd upgrade my RPi to a model 3 from my old model, but will it be enough to work decently (without video lag or issues)?
2. Should I do it via Kodi or use a regular RPi distribution with Chromium? I did mess around with XBMC but never got it fully functional. I have some laptops running Ubuntu and Mint that play movies no problem via a web browser.
3. I'd take any other related suggestions or advice.

Thank you! :D :D :D

Amazon Prime and Google Play Movies, as well as Netflix, use DRM, the Raspberry Pi SBC is not a "Trusted Platform"

Therefore you will need to undertake research whether or not 3rd party Kodi plug-in settings function.

viewtopic.php?t=222954
Adieu

innovation

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Ok, I'll have to research DRM and SBC, but is anyone playing Amazon and Google movies via their Pi? If so, how? :?:

fruitoftheloom

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:02 pm

innovation wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:58 pm
Ok, I'll have to research DRM and SBC, but is anyone playing Amazon and Google movies via their Pi? If so, how? :?:

SBC = Single Board Computer

DRM = Digital Rights Management

Widevine DRM - viewtopic.php?t=222138
Adieu

drgeoff

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:07 pm

IMHO, buy a ready to use off the shelf box that supports Amazon Prime and Google Play.

PhatFil

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:27 pm

Perhaps get a firestick or other trusted h/w device, be wary of the android tv boxes i took a punt on one which was executing a s/w drm fix for netflix which was a huge fail, uber bufffering and 20 second bursts of media ;(

Now we are using a firestick..

plenty of scope for play still with pi control of the firestick/alexa ;)

bensimmo

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:49 am

Firestick for Amazon, it's easy and cheap and the new remote has taken away it one flaw of no volume control.
Wait till near Christmas as the price will be back down again to black Friday levels, it previously has done.

I've never had luck getting it Google stuff actually working on the fire TV and using YouTube to play the Google play movies wasn't the best experience so if you have a phone, just get a Chromecast for that.
Again prices drop and they are also cheap.

Does anything play both ok? NowTV?

Given the original FireTV stick is a bit faster than the B+, Kodi/libreElec is going to be a pain to use on it as that TV stick is frustrating to use after using a newer device.

Return to “Media centres”