EvileDNA

The right software choice for a media centre....

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:26 am

Hi all, how are ya?

I'm looking in to a Raspberry Pi. The media centre I built in 2008 has finally succumbed to Windows updates and is no longer a pleasure to use.

I'm assuming that Windows 10 will run but very slowly on R Pi 3.... SO I'm looking for an alternative OS.

All I'll be doing with the R Pi 3 is taping it to the back of the lounge TV and plugging in a 5Gb external HDD.

OS Requirements:
- I can download torrents
- access the internet
- MOST IMPORTANTLY share the content of the HDD on my LAN. I work from home and am always streaming from the lounge PC.

What do you all recommend which is easy to set up?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: The right software choice...

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:44 am

First thing to know, the Pi is not an X86 based device which means that no 'deskktop' version of WIndows will work at all.

The Pi is Arm procesor based, and the OS we use is a particular version of Linux, called Raspbian.

Linux/Raspbian can do all the things you specify, but not in the same way as Windows!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

hippy

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:57 am

EvileDNA wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:26 am
I'm assuming that Windows 10 will run but very slowly on R Pi 3.... SO I'm looking for an alternative OS.
There is currently no fully functional Windows 10 desktop which will run on the Pi and, though that it has been shown that may be possible, there perhaps never will be, and even if it is it might not have the performance required.

There are a number of other OS's which are available for the Pi. You could install or live-boot Debian with Raspberry Pi Desktop on your media centre or PC to see how well it suits your needs -

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... pi-desktop

It would also be worth checking out Kodi and other options available for a Pi.

tpyo kingg

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:09 am

Have you looked at Kodi on Raspbian (GNU/Llinux)? Kodi is often the first thing that people think of when planning a media center. It's there in the Raspbian software repository:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&t=192499
https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_K ... spberry_Pi

How close does that get you?

The Raspbian system is easy to customize, that's one of the main purposes. Adding or removing software is easy, done in a click or two -- or a short command if you prefer. So if you need to add or remove functionality to Kodi, that can be done.

EvileDNA

Re: The right software choice for a media centre....

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:06 pm

Thanks guys....

Let's say I go with one of those two. How does sharing on a network with Windows 10 PCs work? Is it a lot of coding and faffing or is it a straightforward matter?

default_user8

Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:00 pm

Going with a prebuilt media image such as libreelec(KODI) will allow you to access your media server from any device in your house even a smart tv if you turn on KODI's DLNA server. I ran windows media center until it was deprecated, and then switched to nextpvr running on an unused windows laptop until very recently. I have always found that the KODI seems to work the best across all platforms.
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

LTolledo

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:39 pm

Long time Kodi user. Am running Kodi under latest raspbian, RPi models used are RPiZW, RPi1B+, RPi3B, RPi3B+, even the old RPiB (c) 2012, with the RPiZW version as the "most portable" in the series.

I've setup all of those to access files from off-the-shelf NAS, RPi and other SBC samba shares, and windows (7, 10) shares. Access via WiFi (built-in or dongles) or Ethernet cables. Accessing those shares is straightforward... no coding required.

Used mainly to play video files, but sometimes used to play music files. Old smartphones (sim-less) used as remote controller.

Even installed Kodi in Win10pc and smartphones....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “Media centres”