celdrion

Multiroom audio with one Raspberry Pi

Sat May 19, 2018 7:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I registered, because I got a question regarding multiroom audio. I like to listen to CDs and vinyl records at home and I do not use any music streaming. However, I would like to listen to the music played in the living room as well in the kitchen for instance. Is it possible to use the Raspberry Pi so to say as a distributor?
So I would want to connect my amp with the Raspberry Pi, which is connected to my LAN (probably wireless), and stream the music to other rooms. And in those rooms, I would like to have wireless speakers.
Is this possible to realize?
Most instructions, which I found, focus on using a Raspberry Pi as a "receiver" to make normal speakers wireless and connect them to the LAN. However, this is not what I want to do. I would really like to use one Raspberry Pi as a base so to say and stream the music coming from my CD player to all other rooms.
I would really appreciate some help or hints to which software and hardware I would have to use.
Thank you very much!
Celdri

fruitoftheloom

Re: Multiroom audio with one Raspberry Pi

Sat May 19, 2018 9:34 pm

celdrion wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:02 pm
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I registered, because I got a question regarding multiroom audio. I like to listen to CDs and vinyl records at home and I do not use any music streaming. However, I would like to listen to the music played in the living room as well in the kitchen for instance. Is it possible to use the Raspberry Pi so to say as a distributor?
So I would want to connect my amp with the Raspberry Pi, which is connected to my LAN (probably wireless), and stream the music to other rooms. And in those rooms, I would like to have wireless speakers.
Is this possible to realize?
Most instructions, which I found, focus on using a Raspberry Pi as a "receiver" to make normal speakers wireless and connect them to the LAN. However, this is not what I want to do. I would really like to use one Raspberry Pi as a base so to say and stream the music coming from my CD player to all other rooms.
I would really appreciate some help or hints to which software and hardware I would have to use.
Thank you very much!
Celdri

The Raspberry Pi has no Audio Inputs !

You will need a Sound Card which has Audio inputs suitable to connect to the output of whatever HiFi you have, such as:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HCC0210/
Adieu

celdrion

Sun May 20, 2018 8:45 am

First of all, thanks for your answer!
The Raspberry Pi has no Audio Inputs !
Yes, I know that, I am using a Raspberry Pi already. However, good to have an example!

But what I really couldn't find was:
  • Which software would I have to use?
  • Are there wireless speakers that can connect to the network and use the "signal" from the Raspberry Pi directly? Or is it necessary to have another Raspberry Pi as a client?
  • If it is possible, which speakers would you recommend? I don't get which ones might be used with non proprietary software, most (like Sonos and Bose SoundTouch) seem to need their own software. Or do I get something wrong there?

Thanks
Celdri

Man in a van

Fri May 25, 2018 7:52 am

Hi Celdri

My suggestion would be that you look at Logitech Media Server.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/forum.php

Ronnie

Return to “Media centres”