MinecraftTom16

pi zero hdmi connector.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:20 am

im looking for a full-sized male hdmi stem for the pi zero w. i want to make an osmc tv stick, but i need something like the one on

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/zero ... -connector

but with HDMI instead of USB and without soldering. i don't mind the case, ill make one, but i need that HDMI stem. please can you point me towards a solderless HDMI stem for the pi zero w?

drgeoff

Re: pi zero hdmi connector.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:37 am

It does not exist and there is no way that you can reliably get the needed 19 or so connections without either soldering or plugging into the mini-HDMI socket.

There are mini-HDMI to HDMI adaptors. Put "mini-hdmi adapter" into any search engine.

scotty101

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:38 am

I don't believe one exists.
Whilst this type of arrangement is easy for the 4 pins needed for a USB port, an HDMI port requires many more pins and none of the HDMI pins are broken out on to test points like the USB port is.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

MinecraftTom16

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:01 am

then what about an adapter that plugs into the mini HDMI, and bends round to the end of the pi?

B.Goode

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:18 am

MinecraftTom16 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:01 am
then what about an adapter that plugs into the mini HDMI, and bends round to the end of the pi?
Using an internet search too to look for "mini hdmi right angle" returns a number of promising hits.

Probably best that you do your own search for solutions that are available in Indonesia.

MinecraftTom16

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:02 am

i just had an idea - what about one that connects to the gpio?

rpdom

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:26 am

You won't get HDMI from the GPIO pins. It just isn't possible.

What you can get is something like a VGA666 board which will give you a reasonable quality VGA output from the GPIO pins. It uses almost all of the pins.However the output is above the Pi and at the side. The schematics are available (the original board was/is sold as a kit), so you could possibly redesign it to have the connector at the end. It would be bulky though and soldering would definitely be involved.

MinecraftTom16

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:07 am

but im making a tv stick want it to be HD. i want it to look similar to the amazon fire tv stick, but slightly differently, so i have limited space in the case. there is no special adaptor specifically made for the zero w? one that goes as a super thin wire under the pi, with a male end in front of the camera connector? most likely not. hehe

bensimmo

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:36 am

Changing to a more unique design would be easier (and doable).
Consider the way Chromecasts and FireTV 2017 connect up and their styling, though develop your own style.
And not the FireTV Sticks.
You'll need USB power anyway and a lot of the fireTV stick ended up with the supplied extension cable.

Either a nice interesting case with a HDMI cable and USB cable dangling out (for connection to the TV sockets).

Or a short changer (Wilko's sell them or ribbon style from AliExpress) and pull the casing of and designing a case around it, have fun with case design rather than a generic cuboid.

MinecraftTom16

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:06 pm

i want to have my own case design.

also, can i get one of those on tokopedia?

MinecraftTom16

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:05 pm

oh i get it like the new chromecast -- a box with a cable coming out the top and another out the bottom

bensimmo

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:01 pm

Don't know about new on the Chromecast as it's from 2015 the one I'm thinking
https://store.google.com/product/chromecast_2015 and yes power cable is out the opposite side

Same with the newest FireTV (and the USB slot can also be used to attach an Ethernet/USB hub
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XTWLSRF

MinecraftTom16

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:22 am

yup! that's the one. i can do one of those. but i don't want it to be too bulky, and the pi 0 is a rectangle. i'm thinking: should it be round, or diamond-shaped. maybe an ellipse? :?: what makes it harder is that i don't have my own 3D printer, and Lego is too thick. no problems with the colour, i'll get to that later. but is a specific shape better than any other? i need to fit everything into it.

Return to “Media centres”