Bruce Crowthorne

PIVR RPi Projects book - PCTV problem?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:32 pm

I am trying the "PIVR" project as written by Clive Webster.
I have followed the instruction on pages 152 and 153 as closely as I can.
It's using a new RPi3 and a new Hauppage PCTV 292e stick. It's a new 16G microSD card with a fresh install of OSMC and that runs fine. Got the MPEG-2 license. I bought the Hauppage PCTV stick on the basis that the driver was indicated in the article. I have put the driver (firmware?) in the /lib/firmware directory. dmesg didn't list any errors.
I installed TVheadend and that went fine, did the configuration via the browser, but that is where the issue seems to be!

The install took me through a bunch of set up panels and I managed to answer all the questions - key one was finding that my local transmitter is Rowridge (on the Isle of Wight), and it found 8 Muxes. However the scan result is "FAIL".

At this stage I am not using a "Kodi" style remote (I want to get it working first!) but am using a keyboard and mouse. I haven't added a USB HDD yet.

If I go to the OSMC interface on the RPi and go to "PVR & Live TV" then it has the headings but no PVR (no surprise since it hasn't found the channels.
I am using a TV aeriel that I took straight out of my TV, so I think that is OK. OSMC is on version 2017.10-1.

So maybe the PCTV stick isn't working? Although it has found 8 muxes and their frequencies - although it may be that it gets that from a lookup of the Rowridge transmitter???
It shows up in dmesg as
"Product: PCTV 292e, Manufacturer : PCTV etc"
and later "Identified as PCTV triplestick (292e) (card=94)" and a whole bunch of other comments - but nothing that looks like an error.
Also "downloading firmware from file 'dvb-demod-si2168-b40-01.fw" - so that looks right.

Should the PCTV stick show up in the file system? I checked /dev but didn't see anything that looked appropriate.
How can I test the stick? I may be reduced to plugging it into my laptop and loading the Windows driver!

Any suggestions on what to try?
Thanks
Bruce

Bruce Crowthorne

Re: PIVR RPi Projects book - PCTV problem?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Just to confirm that OSMC is working, I read another article written by Clive in Computer Shopper (Jan 18, p126) and used OSMC to access my NAS and play an existing video file from there.
Now I was quite pleased to get that working - but because I am using a keyboard and mouse, I can't find out how to stop the file playing!!! Oh well, at least I know the RPi / OSMC bits are working .....

Bruce Crowthorne

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Well I THINK I am making progress - but it may be one step forward - and wait for the two backwards!

I can now get the muxes to scan and find channels - I had to do it from the TVHeadend web page, go down to muxes, enter "expert" mode and edit the scan status to make it active - then it scanned and found channels. So far so good.

Back to the OSMC interface on the RPi - still no channels.
Tried another reboot and got the error ..
"PVRclients: PCTV Systems Client
Add on couldn't be loaded
An unknown error has ocurred"

Not sure what to try next ....
Any suggestions?

Paul Webster

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:30 am

Check the Kodi log to see if it gives more clues ... can also increase the logging level.

To stop a playing video .... try X
http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls

Bruce Crowthorne

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:37 pm

OK got it working - phew!
Basic problem was that I had downloaded a set of firmware - but it was wrong! The one I had downloaded was 16k in size, the one I have now is 7k in size. I got it via https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ ... er_support and it was located at https://github.com/OpenELEC/dvb-firmwar ... -b40-01.fw

I actually created a new image on a different card and re-configured the whole thing from scratch.

Only other "gotcha" I had was using the correct user id and pwd in the correct place - it has you create an admin id and a user id. That is OK, but when I log in via a browser (part of the configuration has to be done in a browser) it retains the original (default) uid & pwd.

So now I only need to learn to drive OSMC from my keyboard and mouse (I don't have a remote - yet!).

Bruce Crowthorne

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Keeps getting better! I have a recent Sony smart TV and I have found that the ordinary Sony remote works with OSMC!
Apparently it uses "HDMI CEC" - no idea what it is, but delighted it works.

So now on to .. fix ip address, add usb hub, add hdd, Samba .......

Paul Webster

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:08 am

Good news.

Regarding HDMI CEC ... if you want to know some more about it and in particular how software support for it arrived in RPi you might like to read through an old message thread that I started here in January 2012!
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2485

Return to “Media centres”