bask185
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:39 am
Location: Netherlands

Playing copied DVDs

Tue May 02, 2017 7:12 am

I have a DVD collection, I have a TV and I have a rpi. At the moment we are using our digital TV decoder box to watch and record TV which works fine. We also have an older harddisk recorder with which we play DVDs.

I want to start using my RPI as a usb storage. I still need to buy a 1TB drive but for now an usb stick suffices :D But if you have a rpi with a usb storage lying arround somewhere in your house, I thought it might as well be behind my TV which has 2 HMDI ports.

I would like to copy the contents of my DVDs onto the harddrive so my rpi can play these on the TV (should also give me better quality than our current hard disc recorder with scart cable). But I do not know exactly howto.

I understand I must install Kobi software which turns my rpi in a fine media centre. I only need some guidance when it comes to the dvd copying part. I know that just copying the content from dvd to usb drive aint gonna cut it. IIRC I need to buy a license thingi to play dvd files.

So summarized:
- what software next to kodi do I need to install? I am using latest Raspbian Jessie image
- I will be using a windows PC to copy the dvds onto the usb drive, how do I do that? I suppose I cannot just Ctrl C/Ctrl V it all?
- It would be convenient if I could connect our harddisk recorder with dvd player to the rpi. I am not home at the moment and I don't know the brand or model, so I will get back on this later today. If by any chance somebody could provide some information about this.. feel free ;)

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Bognor Regis UK

Re: Playing copied DVDs

Tue May 02, 2017 7:58 am

Commercial DVDs are encrypted with CSS (Content Scramble System) to prevent you from making copies or watching them on unsupported players.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Scramble_System
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

bask185
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:39 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Playing copied DVDs

Tue May 02, 2017 8:18 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:Commercial DVDs are encrypted with CSS (Content Scramble System) to prevent you from making copies or watching them on unsupported players.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Scramble_System
Hmm good thing we also have google:
https://www.winxdvd.com/resource/rip-dv ... -drive.htm
it specifically explains how to bypass the CSS protection. It allows you to do this in different formats as well. I just found it. Imma gonna try tonight :D

peterlite
Posts: 720
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:00 am

Re: Playing copied DVDs

Wed May 03, 2017 3:04 am

Brasero can create an image file from a DVD and VLC can play the image file. Are the latest versions of each available on the Pi?

bask185
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:39 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Playing copied DVDs

Wed May 03, 2017 7:06 am

But my Pi does not have a dvd player device thingi. I'll be using my windows PC for ripping my dvds.

Yesterday I succesfully turned my rpi into a NAS. And today or tomorrow I will install Kodi on it and try ripping a DVD. Via the NAS system I can easily transfer the dvd image to the rpi. Anyways I don't expect that much trouble figuring that out.

This is a picture of our old hdd recorder/dvd player, I never knew it had an HDMI port :lol:
Image
I cannot use the SCART or HDMI outputs (rpi is already using it's hdmi port). But I do can plug the recorder in the Pi with an RCA cable but..... can I use the 4 pole jack as an input? and even if I could, would it be practible? I would still have to directly controll the dvd player with his own remote to play a dvd right? In this way it would only take more actions to play a dvd.

I suppose I must choose between opening the device and see how far my electro skillz bring me, or I try to sell it and buy a new USB dvd player.

MuppetMikey
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:46 am

Re: Playing copied DVDs

Wed May 03, 2017 7:19 am

your probably going to want to look into converting your dvd's into xvid files or some other format like that because of the size.. if I remember right a dvd holds 4.4 gbs of information, and any size drive will fill up with just a few dvds.. I have a pi with a usb ssd drive with my tv shows on it , they are all xvid files or similar and the drive is only 120gb .. It holds 3 shows with little room to spare ... all of big bang theory 10 seasons .. speechless 1 season, and that 70's show 8 seasons.. if I want to watch a different show then whats on the drive I hot swap it to my windows machine and add and remove videos.. been trying to access over the wifi , but am hitting a wall when it comes to that ..

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Bognor Regis UK

Re: Playing copied DVDs

Wed May 03, 2017 9:45 am

bask185 wrote:But my Pi does not have a dvd player device thingi. I'll be using my windows PC for ripping my dvds.

Yesterday I succesfully turned my rpi into a NAS. And today or tomorrow I will install Kodi on it and try ripping a DVD. Via the NAS system I can easily transfer the dvd image to the rpi. Anyways I don't expect that much trouble figuring that out.

This is a picture of our old hdd recorder/dvd player, I never knew it had an HDMI port :lol:

I cannot use the SCART or HDMI outputs (rpi is already using it's hdmi port). But I do can plug the recorder in the Pi with an RCA cable but..... can I use the 4 pole jack as an input? and even if I could, would it be practible? I would still have to directly controll the dvd player with his own remote to play a dvd right? In this way it would only take more actions to play a dvd.

I suppose I must choose between opening the device and see how far my electro skillz bring me, or I try to sell it and buy a new USB dvd player.
The Raspberry Pis TRRS4 AV and HDMi are both Outputs

The only input is by using a USB Capture Device, but the quality is not great and many posters appear not to have great success:

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ ... re_devices
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

bask185
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:39 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Playing copied DVDs

Wed May 03, 2017 9:52 am

From winxdvd's website:
"WinX DVD Copy Pro is specially designed to meet users' up-to-date DVD backup demand in Windows (10): clone DVD to DVD disc for safe storage; copy DVD to ISO image for later burning, playing or ripping; copy DVD to MPEG2 file with intact content for further usage in media center, DVD library establishment and DVD playback in PS3, HTPC. Equipped with ISO mounter and DVD burner, this DVD copy software can also help mount ISO to a virtual drive and burn DVD to DVD."

I purchased a 1TB harddrive, so with 4,4Gb movies I can rip about 227 DVD's and that is with 101 copying, meaning that the files behave like you would stick a dvd in a dvd player with menus and all. This software also allow me to produce .mp4 or .MPEGs I believe. But I still have to try out winx and Kodi.

How do you try to acces the files over wifi? When I set up my rpi NAS yesterday I put music on it using my windows PC and I could stream the music on my phone. For me it was incredibly easy, but I have not tried videos yet.

bask185
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:39 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Playing copied DVDs

Wed May 03, 2017 10:00 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
bask185 wrote:But my Pi does not have a dvd player device thingi. I'll be using my windows PC for ripping my dvds.

Yesterday I succesfully turned my rpi into a NAS. And today or tomorrow I will install Kodi on it and try ripping a DVD. Via the NAS system I can easily transfer the dvd image to the rpi. Anyways I don't expect that much trouble figuring that out.

This is a picture of our old hdd recorder/dvd player, I never knew it had an HDMI port :lol:

I cannot use the SCART or HDMI outputs (rpi is already using it's hdmi port). But I do can plug the recorder in the Pi with an RCA cable but..... can I use the 4 pole jack as an input? and even if I could, would it be practible? I would still have to directly controll the dvd player with his own remote to play a dvd right? In this way it would only take more actions to play a dvd.

I suppose I must choose between opening the device and see how far my electro skillz bring me, or I try to sell it and buy a new USB dvd player.
The Raspberry Pis TRRS4 AV and HDMi are both Outputs

The only input is by using a USB Capture Device, but the quality is not great and many posters appear not to have great success:

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ ... re_devices
I see, though possible it is not the best option. I am better of buying a seperate usb-dvd player..... euhmm I mean nothing and keep using my dvd player as the dvd player. One more or less remote, no big deal 8-)

User avatar
topguy
Posts: 3506
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Trondheim, Norway

Re: Playing copied DVDs

Wed May 03, 2017 10:10 am

MakeMVK is my preferred method of ripping my DVDs. Its fast and no quality loss due to recoding. MKV files are well supported by Kodi and has the necessary support for multiple audiotracks, subtitles etc. ( But you can choose to exclude stuff when ripping with MakeMKV to save space ). Many DVDs are two-layer disks so the resulting file probably is between 3-8GB.

BUT!!
You need a license key to activate hardware accelerated decoding of MPEG2 on the Pi.
http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/

If you recode your DVDs to mp4/h264 format you will spend (much) more time ripping, potentially loose quality, but will probably get much smaller files.

Tdi-Me
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Re: Playing copied DVDs

Wed May 17, 2017 2:32 pm

I myself am a very happy winx user. I had a lot of dvd's laying about that i normally dont watch ( having kids everything is now behind childproofed doors and this doesnt work well when it comes to playing a dvd. ) I have made copies of all of them. winx now uses hardware acceleration to make copies. I normally copy the dvd's to mp4 format and it ends up being about a gig per movie, there are a tone of settings that can be tweaked if you want to.

My laptop is a windows 10 machine and i use raspbian jessi so to upload file i take the easy way out. I have filezilla installed on my laptop and i connect to the pi using sftp and i log in as pi. This lets me upload files with a very easy to use gui interface. never even had to set up samba just drop the files into the media directory you set up in kodi and refresh the library.

k-pi
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:46 pm
Location: Upper Hale, Surrey, UK.

Re: Playing copied DVDs

Thu May 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Grab yourself a 'live' Linux distro & rip your DVD with it, (I used to have the contents of about 77 DVD in a 120GB disk).
(Don't remember off hand, but you only need a bit of each DVD to be able to play them in a media player.)

Return to “Media centres”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests