iamehsan56

Using Delphi for programming Rosberry pi

Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi There
I am a new user of rospberry pi and this is a first time to enter here .
I am a delphi developer (visual pascal) and i write my program with RAD Studio of Embarcedero
But i dont know , it is possible to write my program under windows OS with delphi

Please guide me
Thanks alot

ghans

Re: Using Delphi for programming Rosberry pi

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:25 pm

You should learn to use Lazarus/FreePascal. Or bite the bullet
and use C/C++. Embarcadero tools do not support the Pi AFAIK.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

ZXDunny

Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:22 pm

I too code in Delphi as my main tool of choice. If you take care to either avoid using the Win32 API (or segregate those calls into procedures/functions into one .pas file that can be replaced with linux/SDL/whatever equivalents) then you'll find that FPC/Lazarus will build your code with very little modifications needed.

My BASIC interpreter deploys on Windows, Linux and Linux/ARM with just a few clicks to change target CPU/OS architectures, the Pi being one of them.

As an IDE, though, Lazarus really sucks compared to Delphi :)

D.

Heater

Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:46 pm

It's 2015. Perhaps it's time to let the legacy Pascal go and get into something more in tune with the times.

I love the C++ Qt GUI tool kit. Easy to get your apps running on Windows, Mac, Linux and the Pi.

But then demand now is for GUIs in the browser. It's increasingly an HTML5/CSS/JavaScript world.

We use Pascal and Lazarus for some apps at work. It's becoming increasingly difficult to make any progress with them.
Last edited by Heater on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

metal mark

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi ,
I had some experiance of Pascal/Delphi so tryed out Lazarus/FPC on the Pi and found it works well. I have a Pi 2 on order and with the extra speed and memory it should work very well. Good luck.
MM

frogb

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:47 pm

If you plan to install and use FreePascal and Lazarus on the RPi2, this blog post is an excellent guide:

http://otapi.com/2015/02/10/raspberry-p ... nd-delphi/

metal mark

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi frogs,
Interesting link but it looks like it's been hacked there were PuTTy screens all over it when I looked at it. I will try again when my Pi2 arrives.
Cheers MM

LaKraven

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi... I'm the author of the OTAPI blog.
There is only a single PuTTY screenshot on the article, illustrating how to connect to the Raspberry Pi 2 using SSH (I prefer accessing my RPi2 units by either SSH or VNC, depending on whether I'm working in the Terminal or using the X-window environment).

DirkS

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:13 pm

metal mark wrote:Hi frogs,
Interesting link but it looks like it's been hacked there were PuTTy screens all over it when I looked at it. I will try again when my Pi2 arrives.
Cheers MM
Installation / configuration of FPC / Laz is explained towards the end of the article; first half or so is about installing and setting up various other bits.

metal mark

Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Well that was strange , when I looked last night the OTAPI blog was covered in multiple PuTTy screens and you couldn't read anything but tonight it's fine, only the one there should be ! Good news my Pi2 arrived this afternoon so it's play time.
Have fun, MM

LaKraven

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:10 pm

metal mark wrote:Well that was strange , when I looked last night the OTAPI blog was covered in multiple PuTTy screens and you couldn't read anything but tonight it's fine, only the one there should be ! Good news my Pi2 arrived this afternoon so it's play time.
Have fun, MM
Let me know if you encounter any issues following my instructions. More than happy to help :)

Return to “Other programming languages”