rpdom

Re: BBC Basic

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Fortunately I kept images of as many of my BBC floppies as I could read at the time. Most of my later stuff was on hard disks though and I lost much of that when they failed.

ejsolutions

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 pm

deadlock601 wrote: Couldn't attach the current build as it's over the 64K limit, so have made it available
here for the time being:
http://ModeZero.OnlineWorkArea.com/Public/xbeebpi

..>> Vince.
Hi,
I've replicated it here:
https://github.com/ejsolutions/rpibakery
Hope that helps. :)

deadlock601

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:48 pm

deadlock601 wrote: Couldn't attach the current build as it's over the 64K limit, so have made it available
here for the time being:
http://ModeZero.OnlineWorkArea.com/Public/xbeebpi
Minor update ... the download has been revised to include:
- A new version, with small hack in the display code, to work around
an issue when xbeeb is running on (real) default display
(it wouldn't start... up until now i'd been running over VNC, which was ok).

- Added Planetoid disk + instructions, to give it a proper test ...
(runs at about 80% Real-BBC at a rough estimate).

Piebald

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks guys!

I'll check it out when my wifi widget arrives. :)

JonnyBritish

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Re the guy asking about AMOS...the old Amiga game creation BASIC.

The makers of BLITZ basic on the AMIGA are still around and now producing a cross platform game creation basic called Monkey

check it out at
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz

gertk64

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:51 am

I recently tried a bunch of my old Atari and PC floppies (the 3.5"variety) and most of them still are fine. Also a lot of 5.25" floppies from the Commodore era still work.
Then again most of my first CD recordables and especially DVD recordables they have degraded in a few years to unreadable.. Magnetic media is much sturdier than you might think.

As for BBC basic on the Pi: I did an emulation of the Z80 CP/M version on the mbed (96 MHz) with monochrome 640x480 VGA output and some graphics routines. Storage is on SD card.
A terminal version based on 6502 emulation is also available.

ph1lj

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:02 am

hi

hope you can - Every where I go to download the OS 1.2 seems to be a dead link.

Any ideas of somewhere to go so I can get the image

hope you help as I'd really like to give the old BBC beep a go on the pi

here's hoping

cheers

NigelJK

Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:32 pm

The Risc OS distro comes with the latest version of BBCBasic by default. Obviously it has all of the extentions to allow for a GUI, but simple BBCBasic should still work as per normal. Now you create a text file (as a BASIC filetype) and code as per normal. Double clicking will run it in a console

ph1lj

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:19 am

NigelJK wrote:The Risc OS distro comes with the latest version of BBCBasic by default. Obviously it has all of the extentions to allow for a GUI, but simple BBCBasic should still work as per normal. Now you create a text file (as a BASIC filetype) and code as per normal. Double clicking will run it in a console

Well I downloaded the Risc OS dated 23 Sept and I cannot see the GUI for the BBCBasic just a link to download the manual which I did hoping it would point me the right direction to launch the BBCBasic

Maybe I'm missing something ?

cheers

Burngate

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:11 am

From boot-up into RISC OS there are several ways to get into BASIC.

Press F12. This takes you out of the GUI and gives you the OS prompt - an asterisk at the bottom of the screen - and typing BASIC gets you to the BASIC prompt.
QUIT gets you back out of BASIC and return on an empty line gets you back to the desktop

Press ctrl+F12. This gives you a task window, and typing BASIC gives you the BASIC prompt in that window.
Get back out by closing the window (and clicking discard)

To write a basic program, open a new document in your favourite text editor - !Zap, !StrongEd, !Edit - set its filetype to BASIC, and start typing.
Having saved your creation, double-clicking will run it, creating a window for output where necessary.
To edit a pre-existing BASIC programm, shift-double-click it. That will open it in your favourite text editor.

ph1lj

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:03 am

Thanks for your help - the detail was really helpful

cheers

NigelJK

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:16 am

Good see you 'up and running'.

I'm hoping soon to upload an opensource GUI for programming the WIMP in BBCBasic (when I've had time to set things up properly), it will have most of the basic functionality working out of the box, but will still require detailed knowledge of the SWI's if you want to do anything sophisticated. I'll do this as open source if there is sufficient interest in getting the 'nice to have' features working.

NigelJK

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:46 am

CYPHER.zip
!Cypher
(10 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Here's a link to my first Wimp programme and I've also attached it to the post. The file is stored at dropbox so is safe from undesirables.

The code is as simple as I could get it as I was learning how to use the Swi's at the time and how the folders were structured for the application. Every time I wanted to learn a new set of routines (like displaying and reacting to menus) I'd add it to !Cypher first.

The amazing thing is that I've not changed a single line of code for this port!
Ignore the contact details in the !Help file (although the instructions on how to play are there), I believe Arcade meta-morphed into AcornArcade:

http://www.acornarcade.com/articles/riscos/
Nice plug for Raspberry Pi on that page also, although it doesn't look as lively as it used to.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/72245410/CYPHER.zip

bloodline

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:31 am

RichardUK wrote:My dad would like AMOS (old gaming basic for the Amiga) :)
XAMOS (a Linux based AMOS clone) compiles and runs well on the raspberry pi... It even has support for AMAL! :)

davidburnard

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:45 pm

Someone asked if brandy basic was still being developed,

I've started a new fork, as I'm primarily trying to get a native Windows version (not a console app) up and running !!

I've called my version Napoleon Brandy to avoid confusion with the original, and I've written my own code for the graphics, this writes to a bitmap which is bitblt ed to the screen - so it should port fairly easily to any OS.

The DOS version also builds and has graphics running (direct writes from my bitmap back buffer to the screen memory).

I've contacted Dave Daniels who said he didn't intend to do anything more with brandy basic but was happy some was still interested in it.

If anyone would like to port this to Linux, Raspian or Risc OS I'd be happy to collaborate.
Post a reply if you'd like to take that up.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/napoleo ... =directory

P.S. Colin Tuckley maintains Dave Daniels original Brandy Basic but this hasn't been updated since 2009

http://sourceforge.net/projects/brandy/ ... =directory

simplesimon

Wed May 01, 2013 10:55 am

cbmbasic works too. the early version compiles without modification. in the later version just delete the arch lines in the makefile, the raspi's default will be used.

JakeShaw iam4BB4W

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:08 pm

RichardRussell wrote:
speculatrix wrote:But the only implementation I've seen runs on Windows, costs 30 quid and has a rubbish editor. Oh well...
Rubbish editor? That's not what most users think! I wouldn't want to return to using a BBC Micro-style line editor after using the BBC BASIC for Windows editor, with its auto-indentation and syntax colouring.

As far as BASIC V is concerned (i.e. the ARM assembler version, not Brandy) there is work underway to incorporate most of the language extensions from the Windows version, which will hopefully make it a much more capable language.
Yup! I agree!

INPUT "What is ur username?" Username$
IF Username$ = "speculatrix" GOTO 30 ELSE PRINT "U R ok... it seems"
PRINT "Get outta here if you dont like BB4W"

im thinking of buying it :) i have the trial version and there is nothing wrong with !t!!!

RichardRussell

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:54 pm

ukscone wrote:So any chance a raspberry pi version is on the horizon?
There's a degree of embarrassment in it having taken nearly five years before being able to answer "yes"! But better late than never, see here for details.

Richard.

DavidS

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:17 pm

speculatrix wrote:I would love to run BBC Basic on the RPi ... you know, just for old time's sake...

But the only implementation I've seen runs on Windows, costs 30 quid and has a rubbish editor. Oh well...
You are talking about on the RPI?

RISC OS is available for the RPi, one of the two main OS's available, and BBC BASIC V is an integral part of RISC OS.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

RichardRussell

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:06 am

DavidS wrote:RISC OS is available for the RPi, one of the two main OS's available, and BBC BASIC V is an integral part of RISC OS.
Whilst true, switching from Linux to RISC OS simply to be able to run BBC BASIC is a somewhat drastic step! And of course BBC BASIC V is a 30-year-old language lacking modern features (even to the extent of strings being limited to a maximum length of 255 characters, which is bordering on the ridiculous in 2017).

My recently released, albeit 'experimental', edition of BBC BASIC for Raspbian Jessie has all the bells and whistles of BBC BASIC for Windows, including data structures, an EXIT statement, PRIVATE variables, huge strings, event interrupts, an 'address of' operator, byte variables and arrays, a line continuation character and indirect procedure and function calls.

Richard.

rpdom

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:19 pm

RichardRussell wrote:And of course BBC BASIC V is a 30-year-old language lacking modern features (even to the extent of strings being limited to a maximum length of 255 characters, which is bordering on the ridiculous in 2017).
I didn't have that problem with my old Spectrum. I created strings of over 20K on that one (actually a screenshot from a Beeb sent over the serial ports).

Having said that, I loved my Beebs and all the work I did on them :-)

Burngate

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:09 am

RichardRussell wrote:. . lacking modern features (even to the extent of strings being limited to a maximum length of 255 characters, which is bordering on the ridiculous in 2017) ...
So that's why Twitter "is an online news and social networking service where users post and interact with messages, "tweets," restricted to 140 characters." (quoted from twitter.com)
And SMS is similarly limited.

RichardRussell

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:55 am

Burngate wrote:"tweets," restricted to 140 characters. (quoted from twitter.com)
It's got a bit silly now that you can attach a picture or a video to your '140 character' tweet!

Of course strings in BASIC, which can contain arbitrary binary data, are useful for much more than just 'text'. A string is a handy data type for containing a bitmap, or some machine code, or the contents of a file, or some encrypted data, or anything you like that can be represented as a stream of bytes. The automatic string garbage collection, which is a feature of most BASICs, makes it particularly easy to handle such data without needing to be concerned about allocation and de-allocation of memory.

But this capability is useful only when the maximum string length is sufficient. Most BASIC dialects allow strings of at least 32,768 characters and often the limit is very much higher (maybe tens or hundreds of megabytes). Early versions of BBC BASIC are extremely unusual in imposing a limit of only 255 characters, which isn't even enough to contain the maximum length ANSI file path in Windows (260 characters).

Richard.

bensimmo

Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:08 pm

DavidS wrote:
speculatrix wrote:I would love to run BBC Basic on the RPi ... you know, just for old time's sake...

But the only implementation I've seen runs on Windows, costs 30 quid and has a rubbish editor. Oh well...

RISC OS is available for the RPi, one of the two main OS's available, and BBC BASIC V is an integral part of RISC OS.
You are responding to a post from June 2012 and the release of BBC basic on ARM was 2.5 years after the last post before it.
Richard's BBC for Arm has been progressing, pesky OGL problems by the look of it still.

DavidS

Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:59 pm

bensimmo wrote:
DavidS wrote:

You are responding to a post from June 2012 and the release of BBC basic on ARM was 2.5 years after the last post before it.
Richard's BBC for Arm has been progressing, pesky OGL problems by the look of it still.
Well it was in the first page, with much newer posts further down, so I did not bother to look at the date, as by its location in the thread it should not have been more than a month old.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “Other programming languages”