manukatz38

can't install fpc and lazarus on raspberypi

Postby manukatz38 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:38 am

Hello, I try to install Lazarus following official instruction on a wheezy version (2014-09-09):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install fpc

After runing last line I get next message: Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming. The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies: fpc : Depends: fpc-2.6.0 (= 2.6.0-9+rpi1) but it is not going to be installed E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I do not understand anything there, I'm a beginner in linux, is it a confict off versions ? Can I find somewhere a "operating system image" with fpc and lazarus installed ?

Thank you for your answers..

Manukatz (linux newbie)
traidna

Re: can't install fpc and lazarus on raspberypi

Postby traidna » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi manukatz38

I have been having the same challenge on the latest distribution of Rasbian as well.

I have been able to successfully load FPC and FP-IDE (the turbo pascal like ide) but on an earlier version. I have been trying to test on different versions to see what works. When I get home this evening I will post the version I was able to get it to load.

Also I downloaded the FUZE Basic distribution as well and FUZE BASIC is interesting, however on I could not get fpc to load on it either.

more to come...
traidna

Postby traidna » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:57 pm

The version that I was able to load with the same commands you listed is

Linux raspberrypi 3.10.25+ #622 PREEMPT Fri Jan 3 18:41:00 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

The newer version where it does not load is :
Linux raspberrypi 3.12.28+ #703 PREEMPT Mon Sep 8 15:28:00 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

I'm not sure what was changed that causes this problem but hoping this may be helpful.

Cheers
Tom
DirkS

Postby DirkS » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:44 pm

I think these problems are caused by changes made for the new web browser.

Maybe you can get more info if you use 'aptitude'.

Gr.
Dirk.
manukatz38

Postby manukatz38 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:49 pm

Hello traidna,

Thank you for your reply,
Sorry for my response times, but I made full test and it still does not work.
The version I just tried is "2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian.img."
I tested and it does not work on all versions from "2012-10-28-wheezy-raspbian.img" to "2014-09-09-wheezy-raspbian.img" ...
In any case, I tried with and without update and with and without upgrade, nothing works !!!
All tests were done with versions set in French ... is that it can affect the installation of fpc (translation?).

Bye ...

Manukatz (linux newbie)
plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby plugwash » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:59 am

DirkS wrote:I think these problems are caused by changes made for the new web browser.

I can confirm that this problem is caused by an updated binutils package shipped by the raspberry pi foundation. Presumablly as part of the "web" stuff.

Adding

deb http://plugwash.raspbian.org/wsf wheezy-wsf main

Should fix it
gbestwick

Postby gbestwick » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:18 pm

Ok, I feel like an ass, but where do we add "deb http://plugwash.raspbian.org/wsf wheezy-wsf main" to...

*hangs head in shame*
plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby plugwash » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:20 am

/etc/apt/sources.list

run apt-get update after editing the file
gbestwick

Postby gbestwick » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:42 am

Thanks so much.

It's doing its magic right now, and lets hope there will be some compiling in the near future.

Cheers
manukatz38

Postby manukatz38 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:24 pm

hello,
Sorry, I fl a little slow to respond.
I managed , with the wheezy version of the ... 20/10/2013
Initially, I left the configuration in English
Then I did a " apt- get update " then "apt -get install fpc " and then " apt- get install lazarus " .
The installation went smoothly ...
I then did a " Raspi -config " to change the system in French .
Everything works fine ...
Thank you and good day to all ...

Manukatz38
atestani

Postby atestani » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:08 am

I just ran into this problem after imaging 2014-09-09-wheezy-raspian and the latest NOOBS as well. The problem has seemingly been around for a while now so one question is has the issue been reported and is anything being done to correct it? I am just getting started with RPI so don't even know where to look for this information.

Another question is should adding "deb http://plugwash.raspbian.org/wsf wheezy-wsf main" to /etc/apt/source.list fix this latest version? I does not for me.

Any advice to help me fix this problem is appreciated.

Thanks
Al
plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby plugwash » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:25 am

Did you rememeber to run apt-get update after adding the line to sources.list?

if so can you please post the complete output of apt-get install fpc lazarus
atestani

Postby atestani » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Yes, I did do an update prior to the apt-get for fpc but it didn't go well.

I just re-imaged the SD card and did this again. The update error'ed out and I traced the problem to (embarrassed to say) I had left out the "b" in raspbian in the line added to sources/list. I assume I did something like this the last time I tried this as well.

It has completed the fpc and lazarus installation and I am now good to go. Sorry for the "problem report" due to my apparent typo.

Question: what exactly does the line: "deb http://plugwash.raspbian.org/wsf wheezy-wsf main" do?

Thanks

Al
BlaiseP

Postby BlaiseP » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:24 pm

Just installed Debian Wheezy version 2015-01-31 on my Pi, no problem.

Then tried to install FPC and Lazarus and got the same errors as mentioned in the first post.
Found and opened the /etc/apt/sources.list file with the Leafpad editor and added the line
deb http://plugwash.raspbian.org/wsf wheezy-wsf main
then tried to save the file but got the message "Can't open file to write".

Now what :?:
plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby plugwash » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:10 am

you need to edit the file as root.
humbug

Postby humbug » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:15 pm

Was this on a B+ or the new Pi 2? I encountered the same problem on a B+ and the fix, I am happy to say, worked.

However I tried the same fix on a Pi 2 and I could not get it to work (possibly finger trouble as I am new to Linux based systems)

I then decided to upgrade to jessie and see if Fpc and Lazarus would install - both did without problems and am now running Lazarus V1.2.4 and FPC 2.6.4. Compiling is faster and instead of hitting 100% CPU load it now runs around 25-30%. Due to the 1M of memory I no longer have to rely on a large swap space to ovecome the problem of running out of memory when instaaling new packages (for example: Inet) and recompiling Lazarus.

Good luck in fixing your problem.
LaKraven

Postby LaKraven » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:43 pm

I've done a complete step-by-step article on obtaining, building and installing both FreePascal and Lazarus (directly from the SVN) on the Raspberry Pi 2.
It assumes absolutely zero prior knowledge on your part (so for those who have "prior knowledge" you'll need to recognize that I'm trying to cover everyone from absolute beginners with these instructions) and so it is remarkably straight-forward to follow.

You can find my guide here: http://otapi.com/2015/02/10/raspberry-p ... nd-delphi/
Heater

Postby Heater » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:51 pm

LaKraven,

Thank you for your comprehensive and clear instructions for installing fpc. I have just worked through them and everything seems to have gone fine. I now have fpc version 3.1.1.

However I cannot compile my application. The fpc command fails with:

myApp.pas(7,6) Fatal: Can't find unit Crt used by myApp

I wonder if perhaps you know how to get the Crt installed ?

Edit: SOLVED: Of course all the units are there. I just had to edit /etc/fpc.cnf and change all the library and unit paths from "/usr/lib" to "/usr/local/lib"

Thanks again.

Edit: Perhaps it's worth adding a little not about this library/unit setting to you instructions.
rj999

Postby rj999 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:23 pm

LaKraven wrote:You can find my guide here: http://otapi.com/2015/02/10/raspberry-p ... nd-delphi/

A brilliant guide and it ran straight through for me. The FPC/Lazarus procedure starts a little less than halfway down the page.

Thanks very much!