moelski
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:16 am

Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:56 am

Hi @all,

I just did a clean install of NOOBS 1.3.2. After that I installed mono-complete.

After checking the version I got "Mono JIT compiler version 3.2.3 (Debian 3.2.3+dfsg-5+rpi1)". :o
Testing the Hard Float bug with csharp results in this:

Code: Select all

[email protected] /usr/bin $ csharp
Mono C# Shell, type "help;" for help

Enter statements below.
csharp> DateTime.Now;
03/01/2014 06:52:12
So is the hard float fix embedded in the actual Mono Package for the Raspian distro. Am I right :?:

Dominik

zezba9000
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:59 am

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:01 am

Interesting. Unless they merged the HF fixes into the 3.2.3 version I don't think they would be there.
But because you get 3.2.3 from the main repo maybe they did?!

I think if you just print the DateTime out and its correct, HF is working.

moelski
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:16 am

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:33 am

Hi !
I think if you just print the DateTime out and its correct, HF is working
I did that test and it works like a charm.

Maybe someone else can test the mono runtime ackage on a fresh NOOBS installation?

User avatar
ReBoot
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:23 pm
Location: Germany
Contact: Website

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:59 pm

Will test it on a fresh Image Installation (don't want to use NOOBS) later this day.
If Mono finally works fine, that's great News as several of my RPi Projects involve C#.

User avatar
ReBoot
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:23 pm
Location: Germany
Contact: Website

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:53 pm

MonoDevelop runs fine. Looks like we, .NET guys, can finally get along with your Raspberries!

moelski
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:16 am

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi !

Which Distro did you use?

User avatar
ReBoot
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:23 pm
Location: Germany
Contact: Website

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:20 pm

The Raspbian Image.

zezba9000
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:59 am

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:07 pm

Well this is awesome and strange.
It cool to see it working by default, but why is there no announcement of this? Or if there is, where is it?!

User avatar
ReBoot
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:23 pm
Location: Germany
Contact: Website

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:17 pm

Most likely in the Mono or Raspbian release notes.
No announcement... C#/.NET just isn't that an important Name. You know, it's from Microsoft and we're running Linux here so C# totally sux. Or something like that. Not that Long ago (wasn't it even in this thread?) a troll ranted about how useless this whole C#/.NET Thing is, C and C++ are way better and are not proprietary by Microsoft and so on. While trolls lack brain and can safely be ignored, I suppose that C# just isn't that important to the whole RPi ecosystem. Afterall, they push Python.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3546
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:10 am

moelski wrote:So is the hard float fix embedded in the actual Mono Package for the Raspian distro. Am I right :?:
Yep, directhex pulled the changes into debian experimental and I pulled his packages into raspbian wheezy. I felt that while having a different version to the corresponding version of debian was not ideal it was better than having the completely broken version we had before.
zezba9000 wrote:Well this is awesome and strange.
It cool to see it working by default, but why is there no announcement of this? Or if there is, where is it?!
I did mention it in the monster thread on mono and I was discussing with the foundation the possibility of a front page post announcing it.

Unfortunately someone discovered a fairly major bug* and I didn't feel it was wise to go ahead with a large scale announcement until/unless it is fixed.

* specifically applications that use the windows.forms text box crash on startup.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3546
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:11 am

BTW the hard float fix included in the raspbian packages is the one developed by mono upstream, not the one developed by sony (see the monster thread I linked in my previous post for more info.

zezba9000
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:59 am

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:32 pm

plugwash wrote:BTW the hard float fix included in the raspbian packages is the one developed by mono upstream, not the one developed by sony (see the monster thread I linked in my previous post for more info.
Maybe I missed it, but after looking at the forum it looks like the only "major" thing wrong is WinForms? Am I right? Which I don't think is even supported by Mono or many others anymore... If this is the only thing, I would not consider it to be major personally as I use Mono with x11 or GL directly..

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 25433
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:54 pm

ReBoot wrote:Most likely in the Mono or Raspbian release notes.
No announcement... C#/.NET just isn't that an important Name. You know, it's from Microsoft and we're running Linux here so C# totally sux. Or something like that. Not that Long ago (wasn't it even in this thread?) a troll ranted about how useless this whole C#/.NET Thing is, C and C++ are way better and are not proprietary by Microsoft and so on. While trolls lack brain and can safely be ignored, I suppose that C# just isn't that important to the whole RPi ecosystem. Afterall, they push Python.
Calm down! We are happy to have any language supported. Yes, we do push Python (and Scratch) as its a better fit to the educational side of things. Doesn't mean C# is pants. All languages have a place.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

User avatar
ReBoot
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:23 pm
Location: Germany
Contact: Website

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:10 pm

jamesh wrote:
ReBoot wrote:Most likely in the Mono or Raspbian release notes.
No announcement... C#/.NET just isn't that an important Name. You know, it's from Microsoft and we're running Linux here so C# totally sux. Or something like that. Not that Long ago (wasn't it even in this thread?) a troll ranted about how useless this whole C#/.NET Thing is, C and C++ are way better and are not proprietary by Microsoft and so on. While trolls lack brain and can safely be ignored, I suppose that C# just isn't that important to the whole RPi ecosystem. Afterall, they push Python.
Calm down! We are happy to have any language supported. Yes, we do push Python (and Scratch) as its a better fit to the educational side of things. Doesn't mean C# is pants. All languages have a place.
I'm sorry I got carried away.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 25433
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:35 pm

ReBoot wrote:
jamesh wrote:
ReBoot wrote:Most likely in the Mono or Raspbian release notes.
No announcement... C#/.NET just isn't that an important Name. You know, it's from Microsoft and we're running Linux here so C# totally sux. Or something like that. Not that Long ago (wasn't it even in this thread?) a troll ranted about how useless this whole C#/.NET Thing is, C and C++ are way better and are not proprietary by Microsoft and so on. While trolls lack brain and can safely be ignored, I suppose that C# just isn't that important to the whole RPi ecosystem. Afterall, they push Python.
Calm down! We are happy to have any language supported. Yes, we do push Python (and Scratch) as its a better fit to the educational side of things. Doesn't mean C# is pants. All languages have a place.
I'm sorry I got carried away.
No worries!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

zezba9000
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:59 am

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:03 pm

You know, it's from Microsoft and we're running Linux here so C# totally sux
No C# does not suck because developers(like you and I) hired by Microsoft came up with the idea (thats irrelevant)... WTF is with all these stupid childish arguments over C#?? I really don't get the rehashing of regurgitated nonsense. Mono on Linux is under GPL, get over it... when something better then Mono (portable, performance, productive) comes along i'm sure any C# dev would be open to it... until then you have no argument other then baseless assertions not living in the world of facts.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3546
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: Raspian Distro has Mono Fix?

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:37 am

zezba9000 wrote: Maybe I missed it, but after looking at the forum it looks like the only "major" thing wrong is WinForms? Am I right?
As far as i'm aware yes.
Which I don't think is even supported by Mono or many others anymore...
Hmm, that is not the impression I get.
If this is the only thing, I would not consider it to be major personally as I use Mono with x11 or GL directly..
Good for you but I still think it's major enough that a "mono now works properly on raspbian" front page post would be premature.

Return to “Other programming languages”