wallasey

Perl and Perl wrappers

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:18 am

I've been providing a binary distribution of Perl for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X for some time. I've now added a version for Raspberry Pi.

I have also published the first release of a module package for Raspberry providing wrappers for some popular GPIO C libraries ( WiringPi, bcm2835 ) and components ( LCD controllers and MCP23017 extender) .

It is all at http://raspberrypi.citrusperl.com

Regards

Mark

[email protected]

Re: Perl and Perl wrappers

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:12 pm

wallasey wrote:I've been providing a binary distribution of Perl for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X for some time. I've now added a version for Raspberry Pi.
Mark
I'm curious... Why a binary distribution of Perl for Linux when every Linux that I've used already has a binary (and source) package of Perl already installed?

With e.g. Debian (Raspbian) having all the Perl modules packaged up for easy installation too.

I can understand the need for Windows (and maybe Mac if it's not supplied as standard), So what's different?

-Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

wallasey

Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:06 pm

[email protected] wrote: I can understand the need for Windows (and maybe Mac if it's not supplied as standard), So what's different?

-Gordon

wallasey

Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:41 pm

[email protected] wrote: I can understand the need for Windows (and maybe Mac if it's not supplied as standard), So what's different?

-Gordon
If you wish to use Perl as the core development language for your project or wish to learn Perl then you almost certainly want to utilise the current versions of CPAN modules and would perhaps appreciate a simpler layout for your Perl installation. This conflicts with the standard package delivery system, of most distributions. Many system components and other packages rely on the system installed Perl. The distro packaging system manages these dependencies. Using CPAN directly often breaks these dependencies. Package updates from the system often break your code as your CPAN installs are overwritten. There are ways to overcome this within the system install of Perl, but they add unnecessary complexity to the management of your Perl and can often be confusing to new users.

A binary distribution of Perl is not a 'replacement' for the system Perl, it is an additional installation tuned to your particular needs.

Having a dedicated install of Perl for your own application development and distribution has been a common practice for several years. The current favoured method on Linux is to use http://perlbrew.pl/. Personally I am interested in using wxPerl - a set of GUI libraries for Perl, and having a simplified layout for Perl. Given that compiling this on the Pi takes a considerable amount of processing time and that cross-compilation isn't really suitable for Perl's build and test environment, I decided to make my preferred install of Perl available to others.

It also means that a new user can get up and running with a separate Perl having a simplified layout without having to learn how to compile everything from first steps.

So all things considered, I'd point any new user of Perl on Linux away from using the system Perl in your application development and I'd suggest a binary distribution as a good starting point to get up and running.

Of course, this doesn't hold true if you are only using Perl as an occasional sys admin or 'glue' tool called from other applications or packages. In that case it seems essential that you rely on the system installed Perl and packaging system.

Thanks for sharing your work on WiringPi, by the way.

Best regards

Mark

wallasey

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:53 am

Just thought I'd update the thread to point new readers at

http://raspberry.znix.com

The HiPi Perl modules are now supported there and install into the system Perl on Raspbian Wheezy rather than using a dedicated Perl install. After playing with the Pi for a while and thinking about how and by who it's used, I decided this was a better approach.

BillStephenson

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:13 pm

That's pretty cool stuff wallasey.

I'll surely get around to playing with much of what you've documented there.

Thanks for sharing!!

Return to “Other programming languages”