kkid
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Java Sub-Forum?

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:23 pm

Shouldn't there be a Java sub-forum?

I have noticed lots of Java threads and organising these into their own sub-forum would make searching the forum easier and encourage Java programming on the PI.

User avatar
savageautomate
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:20 pm
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:17 pm

I totally agree!
+1 for Java sub-category.

I put in a forum request a while back, but the thread did not get any traction.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 08#p158808

Maybe if the Java Pi community can voice their opinion we can get some attention :mrgreen:
Robert Savage | Follow me @savageautomate
http://www.pi4j.com | http://www.pislices.com
http://www.savagehomeautomation.com

caldimerda
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:41 am

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:51 am

Yes - I'll add my 9.42 votes to that - 3*Raspis all running different Java programs ported from Windows and Linux PCs.

It always seemed odd that Java was being sidelined. It may be quite resource intensive for a Raspi but I seem to recall that squeezing an app into limited resources was a big part of programming 30 years ago.

User avatar
freedomotic
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:59 pm
Location: Italy
Contact: Website

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:55 am

+1 for Java sub-category.
I'll post also on the other forum request.
Regards
Freedomotic Open IoT Framework
http://freedomotic.com

2ko
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Israel

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:30 am

Absolutely agree on this subject.
Moreover after deep research I have come to the conclusion that Java programming
in the Raspberry PI context is the best option ,and while I myself more of C#.NET ( :roll: )
programmer ,I think that Java is the most convenient way to program on RPI .

Come on if there is a sub-forum for Scratch ...there must be one for Java .

malcolmh
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:59 pm
Location: Hull, UK

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:39 am

+1

dan3008
Posts: 1172
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:18 pm

Plus one from the guy learning java who will need some help soon :)
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23338
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:43 pm

2ko wrote:Absolutely agree on this subject.
Moreover after deep research I have come to the conclusion that Java programming
in the Raspberry PI context is the best option ,and while I myself more of C#.NET ( :roll: )
programmer ,I think that Java is the most convenient way to program on RPI .

Come on if there is a sub-forum for Scratch ...there must be one for Java .
Afraid I disagree with the premise that Java is the best option! The Raspi runs most known computer languages, and Java is one of those that is least well supported technically (we really need a decent hard float version). So, I'd suggest Python as the best option! Note, I don't 'know' Python or Java so have no language axe to grind (or I'd suggest C!).

As to a Java subforum, at the moment, since the Java is a bit slow, we might hold off - there are plenty of other Java resources out there for the basic programming side. However, I'll throw the idea past the other mods and see what they think.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

2ko
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Israel

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:02 pm

jamesh wrote:
2ko wrote:Absolutely agree on this subject.
Moreover after deep research I have come to the conclusion that Java programming
in the Raspberry PI context is the best option ,and while I myself more of C#.NET ( :roll: )
programmer ,I think that Java is the most convenient way to program on RPI .

Come on if there is a sub-forum for Scratch ...there must be one for Java .
Afraid I disagree with the premise that Java is the best option! The Raspi runs most known computer languages, and Java is one of those that is least well supported technically (we really need a decent hard float version). So, I'd suggest Python as the best option! Note, I don't 'know' Python or Java so have no language axe to grind (or I'd suggest C!).

As to a Java subforum, at the moment, since the Java is a bit slow, we might hold off - there are plenty of other Java resources out there for the basic programming side. However, I'll throw the idea past the other mods and see what they think.
The biggest advantage of Java is its platform independence , so I can build a Java project on my Laptop (and Windows 7), create a runnable JAR file and simply run it from the Raspberry Pi.

I do agree that developing Java on the RPi is a slow and not recommended action but, when you develop outside and only run the JAR on the RPi it turns Java to be one of the best choices
for programming.

Though I don't have much of experience with Python but its mainly used as scripting language and when you have to build a "big" project you have in my opinion three choices : C/C++, C# ,JAVA .
Of those non can be written on the RPi because it's a very slow process ,therefore JAVA's platform independence gives it the winning advantage -no Cross Platform Debugging ...

I agree that if you want to write some small app , Python indeed has it's advantages but for heavier
programs, Java's advantage is obvious -on my humble opinion.

I certainly would like to hear other opinions as well , maybe there is something better or maybe I am wrong ,but for the last month or so I have managed to successfully run few Java apps that were written outside and only JAR file was needed to run it on RPi.
I think there is already a library for GPIO of the RPi that suites for JAVA (Pi4J if I am not mistaken),on the other hand I haven't looked into the graphical aspect (Open GL) on the RPi so maybe there Java indeed has disadvantages ....

User avatar
savageautomate
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:20 pm
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:45 pm

2ko wrote:Come on if there is a sub-forum for Scratch ...there must be one for Java .
Amen!
Last edited by savageautomate on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Savage | Follow me @savageautomate
http://www.pi4j.com | http://www.pislices.com
http://www.savagehomeautomation.com

cdjaco
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:53 pm
Location: Colorado, United States

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:48 pm

I'll add another +1 for a Java sub-forum. :D

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23338
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:42 pm

2ko wrote:
jamesh wrote:
2ko wrote:Absolutely agree on this subject.
Moreover after deep research I have come to the conclusion that Java programming
in the Raspberry PI context is the best option ,and while I myself more of C#.NET ( :roll: )
programmer ,I think that Java is the most convenient way to program on RPI .

Come on if there is a sub-forum for Scratch ...there must be one for Java .
Afraid I disagree with the premise that Java is the best option! The Raspi runs most known computer languages, and Java is one of those that is least well supported technically (we really need a decent hard float version). So, I'd suggest Python as the best option! Note, I don't 'know' Python or Java so have no language axe to grind (or I'd suggest C!).

As to a Java subforum, at the moment, since the Java is a bit slow, we might hold off - there are plenty of other Java resources out there for the basic programming side. However, I'll throw the idea past the other mods and see what they think.
The biggest advantage of Java is its platform independence , so I can build a Java project on my Laptop (and Windows 7), create a runnable JAR file and simply run it from the Raspberry Pi.

I do agree that developing Java on the RPi is a slow and not recommended action but, when you develop outside and only run the JAR on the RPi it turns Java to be one of the best choices
for programming.

Though I don't have much of experience with Python but its mainly used as scripting language and when you have to build a "big" project you have in my opinion three choices : C/C++, C# ,JAVA .
Of those non can be written on the RPi because it's a very slow process ,therefore JAVA's platform independence gives it the winning advantage -no Cross Platform Debugging ...

I agree that if you want to write some small app , Python indeed has it's advantages but for heavier
programs, Java's advantage is obvious -on my humble opinion.

I certainly would like to hear other opinions as well , maybe there is something better or maybe I am wrong ,but for the last month or so I have managed to successfully run few Java apps that were written outside and only JAR file was needed to run it on RPi.
I think there is already a library for GPIO of the RPi that suites for JAVA (Pi4J if I am not mistaken),on the other hand I haven't looked into the graphical aspect (Open GL) on the RPi so maybe there Java indeed has disadvantages ....
I'd disagree that Python is solely a scripting language - it most certainly isn't - there are some pretty big projects built with Python (many 10k's of lines of code), and more all the time. It also completely open source, and therefore even more open platform than Java, which is in effect owned by Oracle. Java is not as platform independent as Python as I understand it.

Python can be used just on the PI - without any other machine involved, which is perfect for the Pi purpose of education where bigger development machines are not available. You could do the same with Java, but it's slower.

Of course, if you want fast, then use C/C++, you know it makes sense!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
savageautomate
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:20 pm
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:18 pm

jamesh wrote:As to a Java subforum, at the moment, since the Java is a bit slow, we might hold off - there are plenty of other Java resources out there for the basic programming side. However, I'll throw the idea past the other mods and see what they think.
Oracle claims to be planning an early release of the JVM for hard-float by the end of the year. That will help level the playing field for Java development on the Pi. There already seems to be a pretty active community of Java developers already programming on the Pi and I am sure that will continue to grow as the platform and tools improves.

Java related forum posts seem to be the dominant language discussed under the "Other Languages" sub forum. Please consider this request for the long term as providing a dedicated Java sub-forum will help quarantine all Java related threads to a single location which benefits both the current Java enthusiasts working on the Raspberry Pi and the future Java community coming here to learn more and start working with the Pi.

Thank You, Robert
Robert Savage | Follow me @savageautomate
http://www.pi4j.com | http://www.pislices.com
http://www.savagehomeautomation.com

caldimerda
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:41 am

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Python is a great language. But this isn't a Java versus Python issue. Java may not be "as open" and it may be owned by Oracle - but it's also hugely popular. I'd suggest no Java programmer is going to use another language because there's no sub-forum. All that does is make it slightly harder to exchange information with other Raspi Java users.

Oh - and what's wrong with the Hard Float OpenJDK? Works fine for me. My app has been ported back and forth from Windows to Linux (and Android) since JDK1.1. The Raspi is a great platform.

Surely the number of posts referring to Java justifies a sub-forum? I'd think we want to encourage and help as big a community as possible?

User avatar
xranby
Posts: 539
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:02 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:07 am

The Raspberry Pi Java forum got founded on 12/12/12
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=81
Xerxes Rånby @xranby I once had two, then I gave one away. Now both are in use every day!
twitter.com/xranby

dan3008
Posts: 1172
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Java Sub-Forum?

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:15 am

This is what we call a win my friends :)
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

Return to “Other programming languages”