rebeltaz

Looking For Program Similar to Scratch

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:54 am

I came across a couple of Kano Computer Touch kits for cheap so I grabbed them. Playing around with them, I found that they have a "cloud based" programming tool that is similar to Scratch (maybe... I only just now found out about that!) where you write code by dragging and connecting blocks. I know how to write code, but I've never been any good at designing graphical interfaces. I'm looking to build an internet radio and this seems like just the ticket. The thing is, I don't like "cloud based" software and I don't want my code anywhere except on my system unless/until I decide otherwise.

tl;dr... is there a software available for raspbian that allows you to write code by dragging and connecting blocks?
Derek Tombrello
www.RobotsAndComputers.com

B.Goode

Re: Looking For Program Similar to Scratch

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:06 am

rebeltaz

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:26 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:06 am
Edublocks.

https://edublocks.org/
Unless I am mistaken, that one seems cloud-based as well?
Derek Tombrello

rebeltaz

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:36 pm

PiGraham wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:47 am
Maybe https://developers.google.com/blockly/
That does look like what I am looking for, but it seems to be more of a "build a web site and incorporate this into that" type of thing rather than a "download (or build from source) and run" type of thing.

I guess if I can't find anything closer to what I am looking for, I can use this. So... thank you! :)
Derek Tombrello

hippy

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:45 am

"Snap!" is another graphical programming language in the Blockly style -

http://www.raspberry-pi-geek.com/Archiv ... to-Scratch

Most graphical programming languages provide a cloud-based development environment because that best suits using them on anything with a modern browser. They do however often have off-line versions which run natively. Scratch 2, 3 and Snap!all have off-line editors for Windows but I don't know about 'for Linux' or 'for the Pi'. I believe the RPF were proposing working with MIT to help get an off-line Scratch 3 delivered but do not know what has come of that.

But I am not sure the OP actually needs a graphical programming language just to overcome the obstacle that they aren't very good at graphical interface design for their internet radio project. I don't see how a graphical programming language will specifically help with that.

rebeltaz

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:16 pm

hippy wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:45 am
"Snap!" is another graphical programming language in the Blockly style -

http://www.raspberry-pi-geek.com/Archiv ... to-Scratch

But I am not sure the OP actually needs a graphical programming language just to overcome the obstacle that they aren't very good at graphical interface design for their internet radio project. I don't see how a graphical programming language will specifically help with that.
I'll have to look at that. It looks good from what I'm seeing.

As for the rest, on the Kano program, you just drag a block to the program area and assign it a "sticker" (i.e. an icon) and assign that icon an action when clicked.

My programming experience has always been either command line related or headless (i.e. embedded microcontrollers). If I have to learn graphics, I suppose I could, but dragging-and-dropping is so much more easy!
Derek Tombrello

hippy

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:28 pm

rebeltaz wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:16 pm
As for the rest, on the Kano program, you just drag a block to the program area and assign it a "sticker" (i.e. an icon) and assign that icon an action when clicked.
That makes sense and would seem useful for presenting a GUI, but it seems to be specific functionality of what Kano offers, rather than functionality inherent in graphical programming environments in general.

I would suggest spending some time with Qt Designer or something similar which will allow you to knock-up a GUI which can then interact with the code you have.

Return to “Other programming languages”