DavidS

Re: ScriptBasic

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:25 pm

Heater wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:07 pm
I'm not totally sure. Forgive me if I'm wrong. But somewhere here I read recently the ScriptBasic uses pthreads for it's threads. Again, I might be wrong but I guess RISC OS does not have a pthreads library.
RISC OS does have a decent implementation of PThreads available. While the OS does not have support for threading it has been added on by an extension module (part of the UnixLib stuff), using a timer interupt, as I understand, to perform thread context switching.

That is the nice thing about RISC OS, you can easily add what you need without adding a huge number of other things, That is actually another advantage of RISC OS.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

John Spikowski

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:33 pm

I would run ScriptBasic in single threaded mode and forgo the thread support. I'm not a big emulation fan.

Heater

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:41 pm

OK, that's great, you are in business then.

Although I suspect it would be more than I'm capable of to add 64 bit support. Or virtual memory and process isolation. Or RISC V support....
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

DavidS

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:02 pm

John Spikowski wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:33 pm
I would run ScriptBasic in single threaded mode and forgo the thread support. I'm not a big emulation fan.
Well the way UnixLib does it on RISC OS is not Emulation. Indeed the way UnixLib does it is the same thing that Linux, BSD, MiNIX, etc do it on a single core (using a timer inturupt of some form to call the schedular to switch contexts), even in multicore systems.

Though I am forgoing the thread support for now, because I am not a fan of UnixLib. I may write a more RISC OS like threading module to provide support for threading, though that is further down the road.

You may also be interested in WIMP2, which is an extension module for RISC OS to provide preemptive multitasking support for WIMP based applications (applications that use the Window Manager). As yet WIMP2 does not run on systems with a 32-bit R15, and I think it also uses the SWP instruction that is now depricated, though, hopefully, one of these days one of us will update it. Though my understanding of WIMP2 is that it was a demonstration to show that it can be done natively on RISC OS.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

John Spikowski

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:12 am

David,

Can you post your open issues with getting scriba to compile on RISC OS? I may be able to offer suggestions if I knew what the issues are.

Were you able to get ScriptBasic to compile on Raspbian?

DavidS

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:03 am

John Spikowski wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:12 am
David,

Can you post your open issues with getting scriba to compile on RISC OS? I may be able to offer suggestions if I knew what the issues are.

Were you able to get ScriptBasic to compile on Raspbian?
Mostly just path names, and figuring out the compile options to avoid including extra libraries for now. I actually got one compile that did not run.

Could you provide a list of what to look at to make sure that an absolute of extra libraries are used? That would help a lot.

Once I do get it to compile there will come the issue of path-name translation for sources that it runs.

John Spikowski

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:29 am

I'm confused when you say pathname issues. What is so strange about RISC OS that doesn't fit the Linux or Windows pathing structure?

You need no dependencies to compile scriba. Look at the Makefile setup creates and extract out the part that builds scriba.

We had to add a gcc option for ARM so ScriptBasic would run.

-fsigned-char

You could save yourself a lot of grief getting ScriptBasic running on Raspbian first as a reference and resouce.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:14 am

John Spikowski wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:40 pm
I have created a new forum account for myself and will only use the ScriptBasic account for project related announcements and official project news.
Sorry for not noticing earlier, but having two identities here is NOT allowed, so I have to ban "John Spikowski" as a "sockpuppet" of user ScriptBasic! Sorry. :roll:

John_Spikowski

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:52 pm

The ScriptBasic account is only to post announcements about the project. This was requested by the forum members that I setup my own account. I'm not a puppet master.

If you have to ban one of the accounts, I would prefer it be the ScriptBasic account.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:12 pm

I cannot undo a ban, so I suggest you to use your primary account, the one everybody knows you by ("ScriptBasic").
It was simply a mistake to start a second account.
Nobody here has a second account, and all the regulars know you cannot have one. If "Forum members" requested this, its wrong of them to ask.
:|
If you want I can permaban "ScriptBasic", but it will be permanent, so think before you take that step!
Also, its not possible to take the identity of a banned person *ever* again.

ejolson

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:56 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:12 pm
I cannot undo a ban, so I suggest you to use your primary account, the one everybody knows you by ("ScriptBasic").
It was simply a mistake to start a second account.
Posting from a real-name identity seems preferable to that of a programming language, especially considering the programming language was written by someone else. While there have evidently been many mistakes, it's difficult to believe the forum software is so inflexible that someone can't undo the ban on John Spikowski and move it to ScriptBasic instead.

If the administrators are really unable to do that, my suggestion (subject to the approval of John) is to ban ScriptBasic along with any other accounts named after programming languages and make a new account such as "Johnathan Spikowski" or similar.

srvaldez

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:12 pm

couldn't't you just rename the user name?

hippy

Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:31 pm

ejolson wrote:
Posting from a real-name identity seems preferable to that of a programming language, especially considering the programming language was written by someone else.
Plus all the other "ScriptBasic" confusion there is.
ejolson wrote:
While there have evidently been many mistakes, it's difficult to believe the forum software is so inflexible that someone can't undo the ban on John Spikowski and move it to ScriptBasic instead.
It does seem odd because accidents do happen. The forums I admin use XenFora and that's a simple drop-down change.

Let's hope no one accidentally bans Eben, Liz, any of the mods, engineers or staff, or any big name companies or people who may have a presence, due to an errant mouse click.

John_Spikowski

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:04 pm

My plan was to give Peter Verhas. (author) and AIR (primary developet) my login info for ScriptBasic so they could post announcements as well.

I think the RPi staff needs to be less restrictive.

If this is impossible to reverse, then I'm going to only post ScriptBasic announcements here and use the RaspberryBASIC.org form instead as an advocate for the project.

ejolson

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:21 pm

ScriptBasic wrote:
My plan was to give Peter Verhas. (author) and AIR (primary developet) my login info for ScriptBasic so they could post announcements as well.

I think the RPi staff needs to be less restrictive.

If this is impossible to reverse, then I'm going to only post ScriptBasic announcements here and use the RaspberryBASIC.org form instead as an advocate for the project.
While it is clear one person can only have a single account, clarification whether multiple people can share one account would be further appreciated.

You could also put into the signature of ScriptBasic that you are actually John Spikowski and prefer to be addressed as John and not as a computer programming language.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:24 pm

ScriptBasic wrote:
Well, this is the Raspberry Pi forum, not the ScriptBasic forum, so wouldn't that be the best place anyway?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

John_Spikowski

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:16 pm

I added a signature line indicating who is behind the ScriptBasic curtain. My activity here is going to be winding down as there are others (AIR and Peter) that are the true brains behind the ScriptBasic project.

ejolson

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:53 pm

ScriptBasic wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:16 pm
John Sipikowski is the person representing the ScriptBasic account. Please address me by John not ScriptBasic.
Is there a spelling error in your signature line?

John_Spikowski

Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:24 pm

Thank you!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:03 pm

srvaldez wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:12 pm
couldn't't you just rename the user name?
Nope!

Note I'm just a lowly moderator, I can only do things the forum settings allow me to do.
For the advanced stuff you need a forum system administrator
i'm not even an RPF staff member, I'm just a volunteer.
For slightly more influential person, who moderates here, flag Jamesh. :mrgreen:

John_Spikowski

Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:59 am

I wish we could of chatted about this before taking unrecoverable action. If the SciptBasic account can't be viewed as an open source project account then I would of opted for ScriptBasic to be disable rather than my personal account.

There was no evidence of me using two accounts at once. When my personal account became active I stopped using the ScriptBasic account.

scruss

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:12 am

ScriptBasic wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:59 am
… There was no evidence of me using two accounts at once.
I don't think that's quite true:
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

John_Spikowski

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:27 am

I believe the 20th is the day the personal account became live. I have multiple devices that access this forum. There is a chance I forgot to log out of the forum on one of the devices and a ScriptBasic post was made. I don't think you will find any ScriptBasic posts after the 20th until my personal account was disabled. Can I repost your typo's as proof you're not perfect?

RichardRussell

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:22 am

ScriptBasic wrote:
I don't think you will find any ScriptBasic posts after the 20th until my personal account was disabled.
Just to say, in this specific case you have my full support. I suggest you take the issue to a private discussion with an administrator who has the authority to sort it out (I am confident that 'unbanning' and 'renaming' are possible). The open forum is not the best place to discuss it.

jamesh

Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:03 am

RichardRussell wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:22 am
ScriptBasic wrote:
I don't think you will find any ScriptBasic posts after the 20th until my personal account was disabled.
Just to say, in this specific case you have my full support. I suggest you take the issue to a private discussion with an administrator who has the authority to sort it out (I am confident that 'unbanning' and 'renaming' are possible). The open forum is not the best place to discuss it.
Quite. I do not have the admin privileges to do anything. You need to email [email protected].

Now, back to the original discussion please.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “Other programming languages”