DavidS

Re: ScriptBasic

Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:37 pm

Ok I see what I had missed before, thanks to your list on the other forums:
libcurl4-gnutls-dev
libiodbc2-dev
libmariadbclient-dev-compat (provides mysqlclient)
libncurses5-dev
libsqlite3-dev
libssl-dev
zlib1g-dev
Why libsqllite3? Why libncurses5? Why sql at all? Why libssl?

Put simply why any other than SDL (which is not listed interesting enough)? I must be missing something, as it makes no sense to me.

This explains the calls that were unresolved in the RISC OS attempt to build it. So I have a lot more research to do than I thought I did in order to dig into this.

This is what we often call a cause of DLL double hokey sticks (can not use correct word on this forum).

In order to get it going I am going to have to learn a few libraries well enough to understand how to replace the functionality in ScriptBasic with native functionality in the application.

Thank you for a bigger challenge than I was expecting. Even in an OS that supports them I am not going to use a bunch of dynamic libraries just for the sake of it, when the same functionality is just as easy without them.

Well off to study a lot of dynamic libraries that I am not personally familiar with.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Heater

Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:52 pm

ScriptBasic is never going to run under RISC OS.

However, if you must try, I imagine there are options you can select when building it that remove the dependency on most of those libraries. That is to say the ones that are not required for the core language run time itself, sql, ssl, zlib etc.

ejolson

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:01 pm

Heater wrote:

However, if you must try, I imagine there are options you can select when building it that remove the dependency on most of those libraries. That is to say the ones that are not required for the core language run time itself, sql, ssl, zlib etc.
I can't understand why a scripting language intended to run on embedded systems would have dependencies on so many heavy-weight libraries. There must be a way to compile only the Basic without all those extras.

John Spikowski

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:16 pm

To build scriba you don't need the dependencies for extension modules.

Run setup --help for info to control your build options.

The reason I suggested building on Raspbian first is you can grab sections of the generated Makefile to build what you want on RISC OS.

Heater

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:22 pm

ejolson,
I can't understand why a scripting language intended to run on embedded systems would have dependencies...
I am pretty sure they are using the word "embedded" in a strange and alien way that we are not used to.

They do not mean "embedded systems" as in little microprocessors/microcontrollers with limited speed and memory built into gadgets.

They mean as a scripting language embedded into an application otherwise written in C or C++ and running on Windows/Mac/Linux
There must be a way to compile only the Basic without all those extras.
Exactly.

But even so, ScriptBasic is never going to run under RISC OS. Because, other reasons...

John Spikowski

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:31 pm

Once again you can run setup without added dependencies and it will build what you need.

MySQL, cURL, ODBC, .. are all optional extensions that come with the standard ScriptBasic distribution.

John Spikowski

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:41 pm

But even so, ScriptBasic is never going to run under RISC OS. Because, other reasons..
NEVER is a silly word I don't take seriously.

DavidS

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:11 am

Heater wrote:
What makes you say that?

Most of (maybe all of) those libraries are available for RISC OS. I just will not use libraries for the sake of using libraries. This is the kind of thing that causes people to have hundreds of libraries that do almost the same thing (and are often used only to do exactly the same thing for different applications). This is the kind of things that should make any programmer sick.

There is nothing wrong with using a library when it saves work. When it makes a nightmare it is not worth it.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

John Spikowski

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:41 am

ScriptBasic core has good a chance of running on RISC OS from what I'm hearing from David.

My C BASIC wrapped extension modules may be an issue if gcc pre-processor support isn't available. The native C source can be generated with gcc -E.

DavidS

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:19 am

John Spikowski wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:41 am
ScriptBasic core has good a chance of running on RISC OS from what I'm hearing from David.

My C BASIC wrapped extension modules may be an issue if gcc pre-processor support isn't available. The native C source can be generated with gcc -E.
I am using GCC on RISC OS so should not be a difficulty there.

I am becoming more and more confident that I will be able to get it to compile and run correctly on RISC OS.

It looks like la very doable project at this point.

Please ignore following line, was supposed to go in speech synth:
WILL YOU PLEASE LET ME TYPE THIS REPLY WITHOUT PULLING MY ATTENTION EVERY TWO SECONDS :"

I do get frustrated with libraries being overused. Sorry if I over voiced that.

John Spikowski

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:24 am

Does Python run on RISC OS?
Oh and one more really important thing about RISC OS Pi: press Ctrl-F12 to get a command window, and then type BASIC scriba.  If you are as old as I am, that will bring tears to your eyes.
Last edited by John Spikowski on Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

DavidS

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:30 am

John Spikowski wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:24 am
Does Python run on RISC OS?
Unfortunately yes Python 2 runs on RISC OS.

DavidS

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:33 am

I agreed to get ScriptBasic with the Brandy Basic extensions running on RISC OS. As such I am still working on that goal. Though this time with renued vigor, as now I know what the issues were last time through.

I hope that John gets someone to do the Raspian side of things.

As I look through the source I see something that will be fairly easy to port, though will take a little bit of effort.

John Spikowski

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:40 am

I hope that John gets someone to do the Raspian side of things.
I might reintroduce the extension module as UKB and see if anyone wants to run with it. I personally have no interest in UK style BASIC graphics library.
Last edited by John Spikowski on Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

DavidS

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:59 am

John Spikowski wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:40 am
I hope that John gets someone to do the Raspian side of things.
I might reintroduce the extension module as UKB and see if anyone wants to run with it. I personally have no interest in retro BASIC.
BBC BASIC is the one BASIC that can not be called retro. Not unless you feel the likes of C is a retro Language.

It continues to be developed (the core interpreter, extending the assembler, and extensions like Basalt). And it is still a primarily used language on an OS of choice for some.

John Spikowski

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:28 am

I'm curious how ScriptBasic will compare performance wise and code compatiblity with BBC BASIC on RISC OS.

DavidS

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:52 am

John Spikowski wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:28 am
I'm curious how ScriptBasic will compare performance wise and code compatiblity with BBC BASIC on RISC OS.
There are obviously some significant differences. I am hoping we will have some close speeds once optimized though.

John Spikowski

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:29 pm

If you can get ScriptBasic to run on RISC OS, you will have a full featured BASIC without the limitations you have with your UK BASIC family of interpreters.

ScriptBasic was born and raised in Budapest, Hungary.

DavidS

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:48 pm

John Spikowski wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:29 pm
If you can get ScriptBasic to run on RISC OS, you will have a full featured BASIC without the limitations you have with your UK BASIC family of interpreters.

ScriptBasic was born and raised in Budapest, Hungary.
While I agree that to be true. I must add that there will also be features of ARM BASIC that will not be present that are very to RISC OS programmers.

It will just be another Programming Language on RISC OS, hopefully people will use it, maybe it will be used to port ScriptBasic programs from other systems.

John Spikowski

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:04 pm

I hope ScriptBasic becomes a general purpose core BASIC that can morph into what you need.
While I agree that to be true. I must add that there will also be features of ARM BASIC that will not be present that are very to RISC OS programmers.
Whatever is missing you can add to your UKB extension module.

John Spikowski

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:12 pm

There is no porting of ScriptBaic code between platforms. The same code runs everywhere.

DavidS

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:28 pm

John Spikowski wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:12 pm
There is no porting of ScriptBaic code between platforms. The same code runs everywhere.
True and fair statement.

Heater

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:27 pm

Unless it uses threads apparently.

DavidS

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:04 pm

Heater wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:27 pm
Unless it uses threads apparently.
?????

Why do you say that? Is there something I am missing?

Heater

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:07 pm

I'm not totally sure. Forgive me if I'm wrong. But somewhere here I read recently the ScriptBasic uses pthreads for it's threads. Again, I might be wrong but I guess RISC OS does not have a pthreads library.

Return to “Other programming languages”