scruss

Re: A compilable basic that uses line numbers for Pi?

Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:46 pm

Heater wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:53 pm
What UI are you using that depends on a browser?
Gnome. It's a lot more stable than it was a few months ago, but gnome-shell runs via JS (somehow) and controls much of the UX. If a browser pane crashed, it usually brought the rest of the system down with it, including networking so you couldn't get in to restart it.

gcj is missing from my Ubuntu 18.04; you might have an additional older gcc installed that includes it. pdftk is available as a snap only, which I've been shunning 'cos they're space and memory hogs. Maybe I should get over myself about that.

*** Just a thought to the OP: not sure how well line numbers would work in FreeBASIC that needs to talk to GPIO. The include file that enables WiringPi uses the newer dialect that may not compile under the fblite or qb dialects that still support line numbers.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

RichardRussell

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:28 pm

ejolson wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:04 pm
For me one of the attractions of open source software was the idea that having the source code would ensure a particular program would always be available. That way I wouldn't have to keep relearning how to do things that I already knew. I think this is also the idea behind finding a suitable BASIC which uses line numbers for the Pi.
As noted in another thread, I have recently released the source code of BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 (which supports line numbers) and it includes a makefile for the Raspberry Pi edition. So if you like the security of being able to compile it yourself, you can.

RichardRussell

Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:51 pm

Heater wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:21 pm
For this reason I seek safe harbor in Debian
On the subject of OS stability, the identical binary executable of BBC BASIC for Windows installs and runs on everything from Windows 95 to Windows 10. That's a span of over 20 years during which the Win32 API has remained stable!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:16 am

Had a bit of a clear out of OT posts. Some of them quite long and probably useful, but hey ho. If you write OT on a thread, you should not be surprised if it disappears.

If you want to talk about something entirely unrelated to the OP, please start a new thread.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “Other programming languages”