Azsorlex26

Resetting the system, then resuming from the point after it in BASH script

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:51 pm

Hello forums. What I'm trying to do is create a script that sets up my computer from a clean installation of Raspbian Lite (in case the backup fails). I've done a lot of testing on this, and it simply cannot be done without rebooting; some commands such as

Code: Select all

pivpn -a
require a reboot to not break the system. So, what I want to do is have the system reboot at a certain point in the script, and then resume after that point. Anyone can put

sudo reboot
in a script, but it'll end it.

DirkS

Re: Resetting the system, then resuming from the point after it in BASH script

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:18 am

Create a file just before the reboot (e.g. using 'touch') and check for the existence of that file at the start of your script. If it exists you jump to a location after the reboot.

Azsorlex26

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:57 am

DirkS wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:18 am
Create a file just before the reboot (e.g. using 'touch') and check for the existence of that file at the start of your script. If it exists you jump to a location after the reboot.
So how would I do this? Something like this:

if [ *continue doesn't exist* ] ; then
    *first block of code*
    *set script to run at boot*
    touch continue
else
    *second block of code*
    *set script to not run at boot*
    rm continue
fi
sudo reboot
?

Heater

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:07 am

Azsorlex26,
...it simply cannot be done without rebooting; some commands such as
...pivpn -a...
require a reboot to not break the system...
I'm very sure this is not true.

pivpn is only installing and configuring openvpn. I know from experience that this does not require a reboot to get working.

Further, when installing/upgrading things with apt-get and friends a reboot is almost never required. Only when the kernel is upgraded. Given that it's unlikely you need to do a reboot.

As for how to deal with the reboot solution with a script. The idea is of creating a file as a flag that a reboot has occurred is pretty solid. Suggest learning how to use BASH. There are thousands of documents, tutorials, discussions, etc all over the net on BASH scripting.

Return to “Other programming languages”