RetiQlum

How do I compile a Visual Basic program for the Pi?

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:50 pm

There is probably something I am missing but I cannot find a how-to on what steps I need to compile to make this run natively. It's not even a complex program.

Heater

Re: How do I compile a Visual Basic program for the Pi?

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:07 pm

As far as I know you do not.

VB is a Windows thing.

bensimmo

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:42 pm

Are you using WindowIOT , if so I would have a look around their website, I cannot remember if it's just C#, C++ or all the usual Visual Studio ones that work.
Long time since I looked at it.

Other than that I think you need to get Mono working if using Raspbian or similar Linux based setup ? (not sure)

ghans

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Visual Basic 6 does not run on Linux. Visual Basic .NET does run on Linux.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

PiGraham

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:46 pm

I'm not sure of the details but Mono on Linux allows you to run dotnet CLR programs but visual basic support may be lacking on Raspbian

http://www.mono-project.com/docs/about- ... sualbasic/

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/477 ... spberry-pi

n67

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:59 pm

First of all, I'm not sure "Other Languages" is the right sub-forum for this. I think "Other Languages" is for other human languages, not programming languages.

Second, I'm going to assume you're running Raspbian. If not, adjust accordingly.

That said, the best first step is to do:

$ apt-cache search mono | grep "^mono" | less

And see what is available. I see something there called "mono-complete", which is probably the best thing to install. There is also something called "mono-vbnc", which implies that VB.NET is supported, so that's good.

After having installed something like that, I'd then go to my Windows machine and write a very simple "hello, world" type program in VB.NET, compile it to an EXE and then bring that EXE over to the Pi. On the Pi, you should be able to run it via something like (I'm guessing here, but I'm pretty sure this is how you do it):

$ mono hello.exe

And it should work.

Once that I had all that working, I'd be up and running...
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

If a post offends you, just put that poster on your foes list, and be done with it (and with them).

To do otherwise, risks being banned.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 pm

n67 wrote:
First of all, I'm not sure "Other Languages" is the right sub-forum for this. I think "Other Languages" is for other human languages, not programming languages.
Confusingly this forum has two sub-forums called "Other Languages". My understanding is that "community->other languages" is for human languages and "programming->other languages" is for programming languages.

n67

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:29 am

plugwash wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 pm
n67 wrote:
Confusingly this forum has two sub-forums called "Other Languages". My understanding is that "community->other languages" is for human languages and "programming->other languages" is for programming languages.
OK, thanks. I actually did not know that. I only knew of the "Community" one.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

If a post offends you, just put that poster on your foes list, and be done with it (and with them).

To do otherwise, risks being banned.

Return to “Other programming languages”