richrarobi

golang?

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:58 pm

If anyone has an interest in trying the go language, the following links should help.
http://dave.cheney.net/unofficial-arm-tarballs
http://golang.org/doc/install

I thought there might be some interest? Anyone out there?

Looking for a language that will 'do what I want' without too much angst..... go (language) is now at day 2 on my pi and looking good (scala lost me at AKKA :cry: It suddenly became a mountain to climb). (Currently running go on Linux mint (32 and 64 bit) and a pi2) - Not found a good simple enough ide yet, although Geany shows some promise. Hardest part so far was setting up the go workplace directory structure (my understanding vs their very slightly confusing instructions) :roll:

RichR

ajstarks

Re: golang?

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:01 pm

I've been doing Go on the Pi for a while. The idea is to simply treat it like any other Linux box. In general, things, including third-party libraries "just work". In terms of setup, I usually build from source, and follow the usual conventions -- be sure to set up your GOPATH, and you will be good to "go".

Also, there is the OpenVG library [1] and Deck [2, 3, 4] tools that run on the Pi.

[1] https://github.com/ajstarks/openvg
[2] https://github.com/ajstarks/deck
[2] https://github.com/ajstarks/deck/tree/master/cmd/vgdeck
[4] https://speakerdeck.com/ajstarks/deck-a ... sentations

Heater

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:03 pm

I really like the idea of the Go language.

Problem was that when I compared it's performance against JavaScript running under node.js the JavaScript won!

Any bench mark is to be taken with a grain of salt. At the end of the day you have to test with your application. This case was a simple socket server pumping data from client to client.

The issue seemed to be in the memory management, the garbage collector, causing things to stutter and stall a lot.

richrarobi

Tue May 12, 2015 8:10 pm

I was getting on OK with GO until I hit interfaces. While GO was, up to that point, a simpler language (especially compared to ruby/jruby where there are multiple ways to do things) I found that interfaces were so weird to get to grips with, I eventually gave up (it failed at that point in my search for a pleasurable programming experience that would do the job I want. (As did SCALA at ACCA and actors!)

RichR
p.s. back to Jruby!! Threads work (in JVM) and are understandable, classes (and subclasses) are logical !! Jruby gives you the power of Java with more readable code (so far anyway.)

ejolson

Wed May 13, 2015 5:22 am

richrarobi wrote: Hardest part so far was setting up the go workplace directory structure (my understanding vs their very slightly confusing instructions)
I installed Google Go as root on Raspbian by typing

# apt-get install golang

Then as a regular user I can compile a program with

$ go build fft.go

This created an executable that I can run with

$ ./fft

So there is no need to setup any IDEs or complicated build directories unless you want to.

For my test program I found that the executables produced by the Google Go compiler ran about 3 times slower than equivalent C code compiled with GCC version 5.1.

natdm

Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:56 pm

I thought Go was supposed to be faster than C? Maybe I never really read that and just thought it was supposed to be.

Heater

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:45 am

I see no reason, in theory at least, why Go would be any faster or slower than C. Nor have I read any claims that it might be. You are just taking a bunch of similar looking statements and compiling them to similar native code after all.

Practically I would guess that the Go compiler being much younger than GCC and other C compilers may not have such finely tuned optimisers. But that is something that could improve with time.

Where performance may be an issue is with the garbage collector built into Go. But if you are using malloc/free in C or new/delete in C++ you may have similar hiccups.

I should revisit Go and see if performance has improved over my last experiments so years ago.

TheGameSquid

Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:39 am

If you plan on using Go, you might want to have a look at Gobot! I haven't used it myself, but it's next on my list of things to try out. The Gobot framework runs on a BUNCH of platforms (AR Drones, Arduino, etc.), the RPi is only one of them. It looks pretty nice and consolidated, so no use for using a GPIO lib and a Firmata lib for example. It's all in the same framework here.

The guys that put this together also have two sister projects:
  1. CylonJS - JS framework (for even more platforms)
  2. Artoo - Ruby framework
All of them also integrate super-nicely with the Commander app.

I think any discussions concerning Go are pretty ridiculous IMO. It's true that Go has had some GC problems that have been pretty show-stopping for very specific types of software. For example, the GC is way too rough for developing games for example (at least so far as I know, I haven't actually picked up 1.5+ and the new GC improvements yet) because it's very "STOP AND SWEEP"-like.

Apart from that, Go is now being used for heavy-duty lifting in datacenters around the world, thanks in large part to the work of the Docker team and the various awesome tools by Hashicorp / Mitchell Hashimoto. I'm pretty sure it's more than capable enough to handle your RPi application, unless you're doing some really outlandish stuff.

Also, I have no background in systems programming (C/C++, no thanks!), but I found most of the Golang concepts to be quite easy to grasp. In fact, Go was designed from the ground up to be simple. That doesn't mean it's an EASY language, but the syntax has been kept deliberately easy to read and very restricted. Likewise, concepts like interfaces were designed to be very simple. As such, it does NOT support inheritance for example. I think that's a very wise choice, but maybe that's what confused you? Remember, it's a language designed mostly to replace C/C++ as a systems programming language, and all the three of the main language designers have been outspoken about their dislike of the complexity of the C/C++ language itself. Making thing NOT COMPLEX is a design goal for Go.

Lastly, here's a tiny free book on Go that I really enjoyed reading recently: http://openmymind.net/The-Little-Go-Book/

Heater

Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:36 am

TheGameSquid,

That's a pretty long post considering "I think any discussions concerning Go are pretty ridiculous IMO." :)

I like the idea that Go is kept simple, Certainly the complexity of C++ is absurd, I don't believe there is any one single person who understands all of C++'s features and how they interact with each other, including Bjarne Stroustrup judging by some C++ conversations I have seen on YouTube.

I'm totally with Go's processes and channels. A brilliant idea from CSP (Tony Hoare) as seen in the old OCCAM and now XC language used by XMOS.

The show stopper for me at the time was the garbage collection stutters and poor performance in the particular task I wanted to use it for. Also, reading around, it seemed the GC was buggy on 32 bit systems.

As I said, it's probably time I revisited Go and see what has improved.

TheGameSquid

Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:24 pm

That's a pretty long post considering "I think any discussions concerning Go are pretty ridiculous IMO." :)
Sorry about that, pretty typical for me. I don't know when to shut up :).
The show stopper for me at the time was the garbage collection stutters and poor performance in the particular task I wanted to use it for.
And that case you really should check out 1.5+. They've made some of the biggest GC improvements yet there, especially with regards to "stuttering" behaviour. Here's Rick Hudson giving a talk about the GC improvements at Gophercon 2015. I thought it was a nice overview of what they're trying to achieve, and it doesn't try to hide the compromises they made, etc.

Heater

Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Excellent news, thanks. You may have kicked me into getting going again:)

ejolson

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:15 pm

TheGameSquid wrote:They've made some of the biggest GC improvements yet there, especially with regards to "stuttering" behaviour. Here's Rick Hudson giving a talk about the GC improvements at Gophercon 2015.
The improvements to the garbage collector described by Rick Hudson in the talk that was linked to above appear very significant.
natdm wrote:I thought Go was supposed to be faster than C?
For my FFT it appears much of the slowdown was due to mandatory bounds checking on array slices. A syntactically complicated way to avoid the bounds checking using "unsafe pointers" was discussed on the golang forum

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!profi ... mqSyy4gFEJ

and improved performance by 30% which brought performance to within a factor 2 of the Cilk parallel C code. The remaining differences are likely due to greater overhead for dynamic memory allocations and poorer sequencing of floating point instructions.

Normang

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:35 pm

This video presents a simple way to install the latest version of golang.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVhMYRaKGXU

I installed version 1.91 this way and it's working well. This talk explains the improvements.
https://youtu.be/uTMvKVma5ms
Last edited by Normang on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jahboater

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:03 pm

Heater wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:45 am
Where performance may be an issue is with the garbage collector built into Go. But if you are using malloc/free in C or new/delete in C++ you may have similar hiccups.
I think the difference is that malloc/free are called when the programmer wants them to be called, and commonly for a single item only.

The reason (in the past anyway) why systems programming languages didn't employ automatic garbage collection was because it could happen at any indeterminate time, and (unlike malloc/free where the programmer knows exactly what needs to be free'd) the GC has to scan the entire heap arena looking for unreferenced blocks - a hideously expensive exercise, probably O(n^2) or worse. For each block it finds in the heap it must scan all of memory, or maintain reference counts and constantly keep track of all pointers to the memory blocks and so on.... I'll stick with C :)

Return to “Other languages”