Skidmark

VSCode Require Larger Swap File

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:17 pm

If your thinking about installing VSCode for JAVA development with some of it's needed extensions, you had better increase your swap file zie to at least 400mb. Otherwise it will appear to hang. Actually what's going on is the swap file is thrashing and nothing else much gets one.
If you plan on doing WEB surfing/Googling while VSCode is up and running you might want to increase this to 500mb.

Al

jdonald

Re: VSCode Require Larger Swap File

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:56 pm

I assume that's for a Pi with 1 GB of RAM. Generally speaking, once you are dependent on the swapfile it means you're thrashing and it's not a pleasant experience, especially for coding.

Should be okay to have everything in RAM on a 2 GB or 4 GB Pi 4B, right?

Gavinmc42

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 am

I compile with 1000MB swap file on 3B+ and 4B1.

Hoping my new on it's way 2GB will not need that.
Got the new Power supply so I can use USB3 SSD too.
Will probably get best compile times on the 4GB model but no stock yet.

What is the best settings for the 2 and 4GB models?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Skidmark

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:13 pm

Yes. All this increasing swap file stuff is relative to the Pi-3 because of the 1 gig limit. I realize that, and am not expecting to have my cake and eat it too. I just have a small pile of Pi-3's ( some still in the box )) and wanted to get a little development done on them. I was NOT expecting VSCode to be a bigger hog than Eclipse.

I'm kind of hoping that as time goes by Buster and VSCode will improve and some of the performance issues will subside a bit.

Al

Return to “Other programming languages”