RichardRussell

BBC BASIC (Raspbian) source code released

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:43 am

It may be of interest that the source code for 'BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0', including a makefile to build the Raspberry Pi edition, has been released. It can be found in this zip file at Dropbox.

tpyo kingg

Re: BBC BASIC (Raspbian) source code released

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:52 am

Is there an accompanying press release from an authoritative source?

bensimmo

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:14 am

Why does it need a press release, he's quite authorative.

tpyo kingg

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:37 am

Because if others were to send that link around, it becomes simple just another dropbox link containing potentially anything.

DougieLawson

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:58 am

tpyo kingg wrote:
Because if others were to send that link around, it becomes simple just another dropbox link containing potentially anything.
It would look better if it was a download link from http://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcbasic.html

Runs OK on my ZeroW. Although if I were in any way interested in BASIC I'd probably start by looking at FUSE (or it's progenitor Gordon Henderson's RTB https://projects.drogon.net/rtb/).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Heater

Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:02 pm

It would look better if it were but up as an open source project on github.

bensimmo

Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:28 pm

tpyo kingg wrote:
Link to here and not direct to Dropbox or wait for something on his page.
Or wait till he responds ;-)

RichardRussell

Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:29 pm

Heater wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:02 pm
It would look better if it were but up as an open source project on github.
I would refer you to the (long) discussion at StarDot on this very subject! In a nutshell, having explained that I know nothing about GitHub it was suggested that I simply release it as a zip, so I have! From what little I have learned about GitHub from that thread I can see how it might be useful in the case of a collaborative project, but since this isn't one (at least at the moment) it's easier for me to make changes the way it is.

RichardRussell

Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:44 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:58 am
Although if I were in any way interested in BASIC I'd probably start by looking at FUSE (or it's progenitor Gordon Henderson's RTB https://projects.drogon.net/rtb/).
I'm aware of RTB, but not in enough detail to make an informed comparison. If I was to highlight one specific feature of BBC BASIC it would be its ability to interface with the OS and external libraries via the SYS statement. It's this that makes it possible to do 3D graphics via OpenGL or 2D graphics and sound via SDL 2.0 or network access via SDL_net etc. Many BASICs run in their own VM and you are limited in what you can do to native features the language provides, but with BBC BASIC you aren't.
Last edited by RichardRussell on Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heater

Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:01 pm

RichardRussell,

I skimmed the comments to your question on stardot.

Seems to me that anyone with the skills to create and maintain a compiler, a compiler that can be built and used on many platforms, will be able to get the hang of git and github in short order.

I do appreciate the difficulty of supporting multiple platforms. Maybe there is a make file for Linux, maybe there is Visual Studio project for Windows, may be there is whatever one needs for Mac, iOS, Android. Etc, etc.

Given your code is written in C then any actual code variations from platform to platform can be accommodated with #defines and #ifdefs and options in the build systems.

It's messy but that is the nature of the beast.

One approach to getting answers as to how to structure and organize all of this is to just put everything you have, source files, make files, project files, manifests, etc into git and publish it on git hub. With suitable build instructions for each platform.

Then, anyone interested can try it out and if they have problems or ideas for a better way to do it they can notify you via an issue report or even propose a "pull request" from their clone of your repository.

Even if people are not collaborating on the developing the actual code they can be helpful in answering the questions you asked on startdot about structuring and build systems.

RichardRussell

Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Heater wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:01 pm
Seems to me that anyone with the skills to create and maintain a compiler, a compiler that can be built and used on many platforms, will be able to get the hang of git and github in short order.
I was (past tense) able to "maintain a compiler" but because of the deterioration in my mental faculties ("... parietal lobe volume loss which may suggest an underlying neurodegenerative process e.g. Alzheimer's disease") I am no longer, which is one of the main motivations for releasing the source. :(
Given your code is written in C then any actual code variations from platform to platform can be accommodated with #defines and #ifdefs and options in the build systems.
Code variations are indeed accommodated that way, but build differences can't be (because some platforms use proprietary IDEs like Xcode or Android Studio).

I can't see any benefit to me in putting the project on Github and I'm not motivated to do so for the benefit of others. Sorry.

mikerr

Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:58 pm

RichardRussell wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:55 pm
I was (past tense) able to "maintain a compiler" but because of the deterioration in my mental faculties ("... parietal lobe volume loss which may suggest an underlying neurodegenerative process e.g. Alzheimer's disease") I am no longer, which is one of the main motivations for releasing the source. :(
Very sorry to hear that.

I'd just like to say a big thank you for releasing the code - that will no doubt ensure the future of BBC BASIC as an ongoing project.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Heater

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Richard. I can understand your not wanting to get into extra, new, complications in the project.

Hopefully some young sparks will pick up your code from dropbox and continue the BBC BASIC tradition into the future. In github or by whatever means.

RichardRussell

Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Heater wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:35 pm
I'm sorry to hear that Richard. I can understand your not wanting to get into extra, new, complications in the project.
I find I can still write BASIC code quite well (I think!) so I certainly intend to 'continue the project' but by concentrating on example/demo programs and libraries rather than on the core interpreter. In any case I don't think there are many serious shortcomings in the interpreter as it stands; in most respects it's comparable with BBC BASIC for Windows (apart from the missing assembler, as discussed elsewhere). The radiologist's MRI report I quoted is by no means a conclusive diagnosis; I also had a PET scan and that was negative for Beta Amyloid plaques.

Return to “Other programming languages”