exartemarte

Geany - accessing samba shares on a Pi

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:04 am

Hi

Has anyone managed to get Geany, running on a PC or laptop, to access files stored in Samba shares on a Pi?

What I want to do is use a straightforward editor on a laptop to edit program files on a headless Pi via Samba. I've been doing this ever since I first had a Pi using my preferred editor, Programmers' Notepad, running under Windows XP and it's a method of working that suits my needs very well. I've been gradually moving over to Linux (Debian) on all my computers, however, and I want a Linux editor that I can use in the same way. Geany would be a good match. Gedit, which I'm currently using, is okay but a bit basic. I have neither the time nor the patience (nor, indeed, the need) to become a "power user" of Vi or EMACS.

I can access the files from Programmers' Notepad in Windows or from Gedit under Debian, but Geany throws up a "Value too large for defined data type" error when I try to open a file. This is apparently a recognised problem in Geany and a solution suggested by a number of people on line is to add "nounix" and "noserverino" to the mounting options in fstab, but this hasn't worked for me. It's not clear whether the additional options are supposed to be added on the Samba share machine (the Pi) or the Geany machine (a laptop) - I'm still a Linux novice - but I've tried both and neither works. On the laptop it makes no difference; on the Pi it prevents the drive from being mounted.

I'm sure others will have tried this and I'm hoping someone will have a solution that works with a Pi.

panik

Re: Geany - accessing samba shares on a Pi

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:19 pm

I'm editing files on the Pi with Geany on a PC with sftp. On a PC running Ubuntu (in 'Files': 'Home Folder' -> 'Enter Location'):

Code: Select all

sftp://pi@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
From there, Geany can open/edit/save files without trouble. That's on Ubuntu 13.10. I don't understand why the menu item is called "Home Folder", but whatever. On older versions of Ubuntu, or Debian with Gnome, Nautilus does the same.

I have an ssh connection besides that too, to compile and run things. In the terminal (or the built-in terminal in Geany):

Code: Select all

ssh pi@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
I know it's not Samba, but it might be a solution that works for you. It does for me :)
Microcontroller addon boards and software for Raspberry Pi A+/B+/Pi2:
- ARMinARM: ARM Cortex-M3 (STM32)
- AVRPi: ATmega32U4 & ATmega328 ("Arduino")
http://www.onandoffables.com

exartemarte

Re: Geany - accessing samba shares on a Pi

Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Thank you for the reply - I'll try that and let you know how I get on.

Return to “C/C++”