PeterO

Re: C++ Wifi and Webserver libs for the Pi similar to those available for Arduino?

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:14 pm

dsyleixa123 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:04 pm
PeterO wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:03 pm
dsyleixa123 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:56 pm
as stated, also the ESPs are not "bare-metal", but driven by an RTOS (freeRTOS, specifically).
Of course there may be different libs for the Pi to WiFi and Webserver/clients, but I do not want to rewrite all and everything (thanks @PeterO, anyway!),
FreeRTOS has a network socket API so translating the web server I linked to should be straight forward and not much effort.

PeterO.
perhaps for experts and pros not much effort, to me it's rocket science though :roll:

Rocket science is easy , It's rocket engineering that's hard !
Anyway , if you don't try to learn you won't get anywhere !
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

dsyleixa123

Re: C++ Wifi and Webserver libs for the Pi similar to those available for Arduino?

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:20 pm

PeterO wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:14 pm
dsyleixa123 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:04 pm
PeterO wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:03 pm

FreeRTOS has a network socket API so translating the web server I linked to should be straight forward and not much effort.

PeterO.
perhaps for experts and pros not much effort, to me it's rocket science though :roll:

Rocket science is easy , It's rocket engineering that's hard !
Anyway , if you don't try to learn you won't get anywhere !
PeterO
I already had learnt a lot about doing all the stuff by the Arduino API/IDE, and I also had learnt a lot by using wiringPi on the Pi, which is roughly similar to the Arduino API. Now I needed sth like a wiringWifi-/wiringWebserver to the Pi, as stated.
A pity that they might not exist yet though.
Last edited by dsyleixa123 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heater

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:26 pm

dsyleixa123,
...you just need to take the efforts to read the examples
I certainly do not need to do any such thing.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

dsyleixa123

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:27 pm

Heater wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:26 pm
dsyleixa123,
...you just need to take the efforts to read the examples
I certainly do not need to do any such thing.
then let it be and move ahead, but don't claim that I should have explained which example programs I mean.
Or are you just trolling?

Heater

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:31 pm

I made such claim.

I made the suggestion that asking one question at a time, giving full details of the aims and details, might elicit more helpful responses.

I still think that is wise.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

dsyleixa123

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:34 pm

Heater wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:31 pm
I made such claim.
I made the suggestion that asking one question at a time, giving full details of the aims and details, might elicit more helpful responses.
I still think that is wise.
as stated, the libs I asked for are libs which are / should be mostly syntax-compatible to the ones I have already linked to.
if you refuse to read them (and the related examples), don't complain that you don't understand what or which I mean.
But I am becoming more and more convinced that you don't want to help at all, but rather that you just troll around bossily.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:45 pm

No he isn't trolling (necessarily) but its just that what you are asking is showing you are naive about the complexities of what you are asking. (no offense intended, sorry).

dsyleixa123

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:55 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:45 pm
No he isn't trolling (necessarily) but its just that what you are asking is showing you are naive about the complexities of what you are asking. (no offense intended, sorry).
I have to disagree, I'm quite aware of the complexities (as stated, it's all rocket science to me - if not even rocket engineering).
That's simply why I am asking about existing Arduino-compatibe libs, ready to use - even if PeterO stated that it's perfectly possible to do something similar on a PI using linux (perhaps for experts or pros, like I also already stated). :?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:33 pm

It does sound like there are no Arduino<-->Linux shim libraries for what you are looking for.

So you either need to a) write your own, or b) Rewrite your code to to use the standard Linux libraries.

I think b) is the best option long term option and to that end it would be useful to know specifically what you are trying to do with these libraries, so people can recommend how to do the same in Linux land. It will be more complicated, because Linux is more sophisticated/capable.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

dsyleixa123

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:44 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:33 pm
It does sound like there are no Arduino<-->Linux shim libraries for what you are looking for.

So you either need to a) write your own, or b) Rewrite your code to to use the standard Linux libraries.

I think b) is the best option long term option and to that end it would be useful to know specifically what you are trying to do with these libraries, so people can recommend how to do the same in Linux land. It will be more complicated, because Linux is more sophisticated/capable.
I think I'll take option 3 as long as nothing exists what I originally was looking for: stay with my ESP8266 and my ESP32 FTM and drop the idea of using the Pi instead or additionally.
But finally also wiringPi mimics arduino code, despite of Linux, and in the end everything is just C/C++, even it's more a job for experts and pros to port it, not for simple hobby users.

Return to “C/C++”