NovaCoder

Starting off with Pi retro game development (gcc & OpenGL)

Wed May 01, 2019 1:39 am

Hi guys,

Just got my Pi and I'm planning on learning (basic) OpenGL coding by updating some old PC games (open sourced).

I'm going to coding on my Windows PC using Visual Studio with the VisualGDB plugin to build and test/debug on my Pi (prob not going to cross compile).

My plan as a learning exercise is to take an existing Linux version of Quake and without using OpenGL just compile/optimize if for the Pi. After I get it up and running using the software renderer, I'll then enable OpenGL support on my Pi and try and build the OpenGL version of Quake. This is just a learning exercise for me, I'm sure the Pi already has a very solid port of Quake.

My experience with Linux and Pi development is very limited so any advice people can give me as a complete Pi newbie will be very much appreciated :mrgreen:

I do know C/C++ and also have some experience with porting old PC games to less powerful hardware.

NovaCoder

Re: Starting off with Pi retro game development (gcc & OpenGL)

Tue May 14, 2019 12:34 am

I now have my PC DEV environment setup and have some OpenGL examples building and running on my Pi :D

Update: Looks like this link contains most of the info I need https://github.com/anholt/mesa/wiki

Return to “C/C++”