dsyleixa123

trying to start with qt creator

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:12 pm

hi,
I have downloaded and installed qt creator (sudo apt-get install qtcreator )
I configured gcc, g++ and gdb for compile, build and debug.
After choosing
file...new..Projects...Qt-Widgets-Project (acually shown installed German option names)
and after entering the name for my new project I get the error message
"Es wurden keine gültigen Kits gefunden!" (no valid kits found)
what is that and where must I search that?
Is an extra SDK needed?

Heater

Re: trying to start with qt creator

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:39 pm

A "kit" is just the name qtcreator gives to the configuration and setting required to build projects. For example which compiler to use etc.

This should be set up automatically if you do:

$ sudo apt-get install qt5-default

Otherwise you will need to set things manually in a "kit". See the "tools" menu:
Tools > Options > Kits > Add

See the qtcreator documentation: http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-targets.html

And all this same question all over the net for example.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/264 ... kits-found

Sorry, it's a long time since I have down this so I can't be more specific for Raspbian.

dsyleixa123

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:29 pm

Heater wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:39 pm
A "kit" is just the name qtcreator gives to the configuration and setting required to build projects. For example which compiler to use etc.

This should be set up automatically if you do:

$ sudo apt-get install qt5-default
wot - I need qtcreator AND EXTRA qt5? That is NOT INCLUDED ??? :P
But thanks, ok, I install it after, no one ever mentioned that it will be required :roll:

Heater

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:58 pm

No idea but it sounds reasonable to me.

Qt is a graphical user interface library. Those libraries can be used without qtcreator. In fact that is what I normally do on the Pi, download my source to the Pi and build it using qmake, no qtcreator required on the Pi.

qtcreator is an application. An application that happens to help writing other applications that use the Qt libraries. Those applications could target the machine you are running qtcreator on or some other platform, Android, iOS, whatever...

These are two different things so it makes sense to have separate packages.

dsyleixa123

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:01 pm

ok, I installed the qt5 thing after, but still the same kit-not-found-error in the qtcreator after entering a name for the new project.
What an annoying, frustrating mess.
I think I need a reasonable tutorial at once or will drop that mess.

Heater

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Don't let your google foo let you down:

Example:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/696740/ ... kit-exists

dsyleixa123

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:27 am

Heater wrote:
Example:
I don't understand anything in this messy link and the millions of pictures and settings, I also do not see the specific Raspberry Pi relations. I need the qtcreator to install everything automatically what is needed, like Borland C++ Builder, but especially for the Pi. Any advices about PCs are completely invalid and irrelevant for my purposes, finally this is the Raspberry Pi forum, and help is required from experienced RaspberryPi-based qtcreator users only.

Heater

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:33 am

dsyleixa123,
Any advices about PCs are completely invalid and irrelevant for my purposes
I do not believe my advice and pointers are "completely invalid and irrelevant for my purposes". Qt is a cross-platform toolkit. qtcreator is a cross platform application, it looks and works the same on Windows, Mac, and Linux. There is a lot in common even if the details vary.
...finally this is the Raspberry Pi forum, and help is required from experienced RaspberryPi-based qtcreator users only.
The Pi runs Raspbain. Raspbian is based on Debian. I have used QtCreator on Debian a lot. I believe what applies to qtcreator on my x86 desktop Debian also applies to Raspbian on the Pi.

I will admit that understanding "kits" and getting one set up correctly is a bit fiddly. But it's nothing that cannot be solved with a bit of Google Foo and some experimentation. Oh and read the documents I linked to.

I'm sure you will find that much of the advice given for qtcreator on desktop Ubuntu and Debian applies to qtcreator on the Pi.

Sorry, it's a few years since I have done this so I don't like to dump my, perhaps faulty recollections, here.

Finally, if that is how grateful you are when people spend time trying to help you then I must remember not to bother to try and help you in future.

Good luck.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:39 am

dsyleixa123 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:27 am
Heater wrote:
Example:
I don't understand anything in this messy link and the millions of pictures and settings, I also do not see the specific Raspberry Pi relations. I need the qtcreator to install everything automatically what is needed, like Borland C++ Builder, but especially for the Pi. Any advices about PCs are completely invalid and irrelevant for my purposes, finally this is the Raspberry Pi forum, and help is required from experienced RaspberryPi-based qtcreator users only.

Help and advice given is undertaken on a Voluntary Basis, no one gets paid to answer your queries, if FREE advice is lacking then suggest you pay for Support !
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Heater

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:46 am

Yep.

Luckily Qt comes with excellent commercial support contracts:
https://www.qt.io/qt-support/

dsyleixa123

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:58 am

thanks, I do appreciate help very much, as long as it's valid to the topic question, given by forum members who are experienced in this matterespecially on the Pi. I still don't read in either answer given here in this topic the exact solution how to make qtcreator find and adjust my anywhere obscured or hidden "kits" or whatever to run on my Pi.
Last edited by dsyleixa123 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:02 am

dsyleixa123 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:58 am
thanks, I do appreciate help very much, as long as it's valid to the topic question. I still don't read in either answer given here in this topic the exact solution how to make qtcreator find and adjust my anywhere obscured or hidden "kits" or whatever to run on my Pi.

https://www.qt.io/download
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

dsyleixa123

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:05 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
I know that link, qtcreator is already installed, but I do not see over there how to make qtcreator find and adjust my anywhere obscured or hidden "kits" or whatever to run on my Pi.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:26 am

dsyleixa123 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:05 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
I know that link, qtcreator is already installed, but I do not see over there how to make qtcreator find and adjust my anywhere obscured or hidden "kits" or whatever to run on my Pi.

QT offer a paid for version with support ;)
adieu

dsyleixa123

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:29 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:26 am
QT offer a paid for version with support ;)
I am asking HERE in THIS forum because I assumed that experienced Raspi qtcreator users are actually present here.
If not, then qtcreator is surely not suitable for me.

Heater

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:46 pm

dsyleixa123,

A couple of thoughts:

Despite the seemingly huge number of Pi sold I suspect there are many less Pi owners (Many own multiple Pi). Of those few are programming Pi in C++, if they ever program at all. Of those few a very small subset will have used Qt and qtcreator on the Pi.

So, it' quite likely you are one of the first to use qtcreator on the Pi and as such the "experts" you are calling on may not exist. You may have to break new ground and discover this for yourself.

I have used Qt on the Pi and qtcreator a lot, but not qtcreator on the Pi. There is a reason for this:

My gut tells me that qtcreator is so big and resource demanding that it will be tediously slow and clumsy when running on a Pi with it's limited memory and performance. I might be wrong. Things may go well on a Pi 3B+. You will have to find out.

For this reason my approach has been to use qtcreator on a desktop PC running Debian to develop my code. When it is in good shape and tested there I move the sources to a Pi and build them there from the command line using qmake. This is a very comfortable way of working.

If you are going to be tackling something as complex as using C++ and building a graphical user interface, with qt or anything else, then surely you must have the skill to work out how to set up a qtcreator kit from the clues that have been offered. If not then you are not going to get very far.

Heater

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:24 pm

So I was thinking...

I presume you have a C++ compiler installed. Without that you cannot make a qtcreator kit.

$ sudo apt-get install g++

One might think installing qtcreator would pull in g++ but that need not be the case.

jahboater

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:29 pm

If it helps, Gentoo64 includes Qt Creator pre-installed.

https://github.com/sakaki-/gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit

dsyleixa123

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:39 pm

jahboater wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:29 pm
If it helps, Gentoo64 includes Qt Creator pre-installed.
https://github.com/sakaki-/gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit
I have the standard Raspbian Stretch on my Pi2 v1.
Heater wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:24 pm
So I was thinking...
I presume you have a C++ compiler installed. Without that you cannot make a qtcreator kit.
$ sudo apt-get install g++
One might think installing qtcreator would pull in g++ but that need not be the case.
Please refer to my opening post:
I have downloaded and installed qt creator (sudo apt-get install qtcreator )
I configured gcc, g++ and gdb for compile, build and debug.
gcc/gpp comes with my Stretch and I am already using that with Geany.

aLotOfSensor

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:28 pm

There are many reasons for a build kit to fail. Have you tried building from the command line qmake/make? Try qmake whatever.pro then make.

Coding Qt on the Pi would be painful and slow. This is why people go through all these complicated cross compile setups. Qt needs a pretty beefy system even for dynamic compiles that you're trying, and very beefy system for static compiles.

Heater

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:18 pm

In my experience if you have a Qt project and move the sources to the Pi it will build with qmake and make just fine.

Certainly compiling C++ is slow and using a library like Qt or boost makes it even slower but unless your project is huge it's not unreasonable.

aLotOfSensor

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:42 pm

In my experience if you have a Qt project and move the sources to the Pi it will build with qmake and make just fine.
Oh sure most definitely. But in my case for example, I just $time make'd build times and what took my i7 desktop 5.8 seconds to build from start to finish (qmake/make dynamic compile qt5.8) took my Raspberry Pi 3B 38.6 seconds to build. So if during development you compile something 4 or 5 times p/minute, your development time will take many times longer doing it on the Pi.

Officially, for development on top of X for embedded Qt, Qt recommends the cross compile environment that's been discussed extensively on these forums. Personally, I develop on desktop and have static builds for the different architectures as even though those builds took 5+ hours each, for me personally when I distro a release that's less time than doing a cross compile environment for armv7, armv8, etc. Net result is the same though. I also doubt Qt is putting much support into the free version of arm Creator. In theory you could use creator or even qmake/make on a Pi, it'll just be slow, and w/creator very buggy.

Heater

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:17 pm

We are in agreement then. As I said above, building C++ is slow, especially if it's using libraries like Qt. It's annoying on a PC, painful on a Pi.

dsyleixa123

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:32 pm

I definitely will never use qmake and/or crosscompiling environments, that's why I was looking for an - integrated (!) - GUI IDE.
As stated in the other topic about C++ IDEs such a GUI IDE was desired which was supposed to work like formally the Borland C++ Builder (BCB).
qtcreator has the option to compile and build from out of the GUI, as claimed by you, Heater, just like the BCB, as claimed by you, Heater, and generating all the GUI code autimatically for one's application, just like BCB, as claimed by you, Heater
- and that's why it was interesting for me.
I really have no interest in using all the qmake mess, I am quite sure that I already made that point absolutely clear.
Nonetheless, it's now finally still about the missing "kits", missing guides how to fix that in detail, missing beginner-friendly tutorials, and tbh - last but not least - missing people around here with personal experiences about qtcreator on the Pi which is crucial for providing efficient help on this issue, regrettably. No chance for me to handle that nasty monster if not several experienced users were around here to guide me along.
So if there really are no such advanced Raspi-qtcreator-users around here, then what's left for me to do will now probably be just 1 cmd line to be executed on the console:
sudo apt-get --purge remove ,
once for qt5 and once for qtcreator.

rpdom

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:39 pm

What has been patiently explained to you over and over again is there is nothing special about qtcreator on the Pi. It is exactly the same as qtcreator on any other Debian Stretch based system (as is pretty much every other package). Search for help on how to do what you want with qtcreator on Debian and the same instructions will apply to the Pi.

Return to “C/C++”