ElEscalador

How the Heck does my RPI3 Complete a Program 1200% Faster than my HP Probook??

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:01 pm

I wrote my first navigation/collision avoidance program in c++...I wrote it on my windows laptop (1.6ghz, 8gb ram, 64 bit, windows 10) in visual studio - intended to end up in my robot. Since it was my own code (based on A Star algorithm) I knew it wouldn't be the most efficient, but it was taking 1-5 minutes to find a path when run from visual studio. I was afraid this would translate to 10-30 minutes on the rpi in my robot, so I uploaded the exact same program to a PI3, added a stopwatch to each, and ran it with the exact same inputs (start, target, simulated obstacles). Much to my surprise, the windows machine was still running and the PI3 found a path almost instantly - way less than a second. I tried a few times and each time, both machines return the same waypoint list, but the pi is faaaaast and the windows machine is like snail-mail (typical - windows 120 seconds, RPI <1 second). I presume this has something to do with visual studio and not the hardware, but I am curious....who knows why this is happening? Is there anything I can do to make the windows machine run the program fast like that? I don't have a bunch of other stuff running except Chrome (that I know of...I have recently run Malwarebytes). This can't all be because of bloatware...can it? The machine runs fine for all my other purposes.
My Autonomous Robot Project and a few of my other projects below.

https://lloydbrombach.wordpress.com/

mooblie

Re: How the Heck does my RPI3 Complete a Program 1200% Faster than my HP Probook??

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:49 pm

"Overheads."

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: How the Heck does my RPI3 Complete a Program 1200% Faster than my HP Probook??

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:40 am

Sounds like the windows build might be a debug build.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mikerr

Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:48 am

Probably debug build, there's a huge amount of expensive runtime checks enabled by default
such as out-of-bounds array indexing and memory overrun detection

https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2011/ ... slowdowns/

(although for some code it can be 100x slowdown.. debug is meant to debug, not for general use)

Try release build, also
Project Settings, then go to C++/Preprocessor, add _SECURE_SCL=0
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

ElEscalador

Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:05 pm

I had tried compiling as release and running the exe to no improvement, but whatever "_SECURE_SCL=0" does fixed it right up. I haven't compared run times again to the Pi, but now when I'm testing code on the windows /VS machine it's executing in a few seconds compared to 2-3 minutes. Thanks!
My Autonomous Robot Project and a few of my other projects below.

https://lloydbrombach.wordpress.com/

ab1jx

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:27 am

Superior operating system. :) But 1.8 GHz and how many cores? Is 8 GB enough for Windows 10? I've never seen it. Sounds like you loaded modern bloatware onto an old machine. Is it swapping out? I have one friend that liked to do that, just had to have the latest software even if the machine couldn't handle it.

I haven't seen visual studio in 20 years but Borland stuff was a lot better then. Microsoft doesn't do a lot that's unique and wonderful. And I made a living cleaning up after their stuff. Retired 10 years ago, all Linux and OpenBSD now, I barely remember how to run it.

Return to “C/C++”