Heater

Re: having problem to compile C && C++ program on PI3

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Well, until you understand how it is working on your own system it might be a good idea to not criticise those who do understand how it works on Raspbian.
PeterO,
Well, until you understand how it is working on your own system it might be a good idea to not criticise those who do understand how it works on Raspbian.
Fair comment.

I learned a thing here. Raspbian does not have a ~/bin by default. Presumably somebody building Raspbian decided that was a good idea. I agree with them.

I stand by my other statements about not using ~/bin for development code and not advising reboots.

@jahboater,
What shell and OS are you actually using?
As you guessed this bash running under the Linux Subsystem for Windows. Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS

n67

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:04 pm

I stand by my other statements about not using ~/bin for development code and not advising reboots.
1) Nobody ever said it was - i.e., strawman. I assumed that OP's "hello" program had been fully developed and was ready to be moved into production. That's the time at which it is proper to copy or move it into your ~/bin directory.

2) It is pretty clear in the world of personal computers that rebooting is the usual cure for various odd behaviors. Yes, I know that hard-core aged sysadmin types like to argue against this fact (and sometimes I do so myself), but it is, nonetheless, a fact.

As I said, once you've created ~/bin, you can either manually add it to your PATH (if it isn't already there, which it won't be in stock Raspbian) or you can just logout and/or reboot.

P.S. Oh, and it will come as no surprise to hear that I DO think Raspbian should ship with /home/pi/bin existing and empty. It would help the newby in just this sort of situation. But this is not a big deal and I'm not going to make an issue of it.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

If a post offends you, just put that poster on your foes list, and be done with it (and with them).

To do otherwise, risks being banned.

PeterO

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:33 pm

It doesn't need a reboot, all it needs is a logout/login. If running GUI it might only need a close and open a terminal window.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:48 pm

OK, that enough.

I'd like to apologise to the OP, who has had his perfectly easy to answer thread absolutely polluted with what can only be described as a load of unnecessary cack.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “C/C++”