jc2789

libusb transfer not working on RPi 3

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:26 pm

I have been working on connecting an LPC4357 MCU to an RPi 3 via USB bulk transfer.
Because the project needs to be cross-platform so I am using libusb. On Windows, everything works fine.

For the RPi, the code compiles/links and runs mostly ok, all basic functions work such as descriptor-related functions and hot-plug functions.
However, all transfer-related functions always return LIBUSB_ERROR_TIMEOUT. I have tested both sync and async transfers, with/without explicit event handling but nothing works. When the async transfer is used, the callback of the transfer never get called despite the libusb_handle_events function is running.

I have also tried a few online examples (e.g. PyUSB). The result is same: most functions work fine except transfer functions as they still constantly gives LIBUSB_ERROR_TIMEOUT. May I ask for some insight of this problem? Could it be caused by a bug in the kernel? a bug in the libusb? MCU side error? or maybe some specific code/configuration is required for using libusb on RPi?

Other information:
libusb version: 1.0.21
OS version: Raspbian (kernel 4.9.76-v7+)
USB descriptors of the device:

Dev (bus 1, device 7): NXP Semiconductors - LPC4357 GENERIC USB
- Serial Number: ABCD123456789
Configuration:
wTotalLength: 39
bNumInterfaces: 1
bConfigurationValue: 1
iConfiguration: 0
bmAttributes: 80h
MaxPower: 250
Interface:
bInterfaceNumber: 0
bAlternateSetting: 0
bNumEndpoints: 3
bInterfaceClass: 255
bInterfaceSubClass: 240
bInterfaceProtocol: 0
iInterface: 4
Endpoint:
bEndpointAddress: 01h
bmAttributes: 02h
wMaxPacketSize: 512
bInterval: 0
bRefresh: 0
bSynchAddress: 0
Endpoint:
bEndpointAddress: 81h
bmAttributes: 02h
wMaxPacketSize: 512
bInterval: 0
Endpoint:
bEndpointAddress: 82h
bmAttributes: 03h
wMaxPacketSize: 4
bInterval: 9

dagbay

Re: libusb transfer not working on RPi 3

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:36 am

I have a cross platform custom USB device as well. I was able to find a working solution using hidraw interface which is basically stream file I/O. Works on Windows well and I just got it to work on Rpi.

jc2789

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Solved it :D
As you can see, in the original device descriptor, all of the three endpoints were in Interface 0. This is where the problem is.
I changed it so Interface 0 has no endpoint (as I don't need an interrupt EP), and added an Interface 1 with the two bulk transfer endpoints.

This should be filed as a bug in the RPi Linux kernel since there is no such rule says that Interface 0 is not allowed to have bulk transfers.
The original configuration worked under libusb for other platforms.

topguy

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:14 am

jc2789 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:44 pm
This should be filed as a bug in the RPi Linux kernel since there is no such rule says that Interface 0 is not allowed to have bulk transfers.
I believe here is the place to file it.
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues

v_silvero

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:09 pm

jc2789 wrote: Solved it :D
As you can see, in the original device descriptor, all of the three endpoints were in Interface 0. This is where the problem is.
I changed it so Interface 0 has no endpoint (as I don't need an interrupt EP), and added an Interface 1 with the two bulk transfer endpoints.

Are you sure of that?.. I have a similar problem..
How can I change the number of interface of the device??

jc2789

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:38 pm

v_silvero wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:09 pm
jc2789 wrote: Solved it :D

Are you sure of that?.. I have a similar problem..
How can I change the number of interface of the device??
For descriptor, I looked into some other LPCOpen USB examples and "meshed up" one using the descriptor for USB VCOM. Then i changed the callback setting in USB Initialization to match the new descriptor/interface configuration.

Return to “C/C++”