buja

Geany terminal window

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:35 pm

By pressing F5 in Geany you can run the current program (if built successfully). Geany opens a terminal window and the program runs.

On my PC with Ubuntu Mate, the terminal window is pushed to the top.
On my Pi with Raspbian and LXDE, the terminal window opens and my program runs, but the window is not pushed to the top and stays hidden behind Geany. I have to click on the window in the task bar to make it completely visible.

Is it possible to make my Pi + Geany behave in the same way as on my PC? is it a setting somewhere?

panik

Re: Geany terminal window

Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:46 pm

I don't know.

When programming in Geany, I usually 'compile and run' from the built-in terminal window in Geany itself. That always sticks to the bottom.

In 'menu->view', click 'Show Message Window', then the 'Terminal' tab. From there, `make && ./myprogram`. In stead of <F5>, click <arrow up> and <enter> to redo the last command.

Then both the compilation progress as well as the program output shows up in the same place. You basically just run the Makefile and don't have to set up a project in Geany.

Hope this works for you.
Microcontroller addon boards and software for Raspberry Pi A+/B+/Pi2:
- ARMinARM: ARM Cortex-M3 (STM32)
- AVRPi: ATmega32U4 & ATmega328 ("Arduino")
http://www.onandoffables.com

buja

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks, but that's the same as opening a terminal window myself and manually jump to that to run and/or compile a program.

I just tested on a laptop with Debian LXDE and that works like my desktop.

In Geany under Edit - Preferences - Tools I can see some Tool Paths, maybe the terminal command needs adjusting? (Debian and Raspbian have different settings here).
Last edited by buja on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

davenull

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:30 am

I am running Geany on the current Jessie installation (update/upgrade 8.3 ?), and on my screen the standard terminal window always is fully visible after pressing F8...F9...F5 and since all 8.x it never was different from that, and I never changed anything of the standard settings (except compile, build, and run makefile parameter settings). :roll:
#define S sqrt(t+2*i*i)<2
#define F(a,b) for(a=0;a<b;++a)
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;int main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PointOut(x,y);}}}for(;;);}

Return to “C/C++”