davenull

Re: C/C++ crosscompiler on a Windows PC ?

Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:23 pm

for Arduino the cross compiler is as simple like a walk in the park, and even for the EV3 running TI daVinci Linux the BCC cross compiler is peanuts to work with, both running on Windows, both for compiling, linking, building, uploading, remotely start running, just by a 70ct USB cable...

it's just about the stultifying lame loading of files and loading sources via the internet - iceweasel need 1 minute to load a website, with the same wifi stick my PC needs 1-5 sec for this task!

Even srcolling through sites and source codes is annoying lame...
#define S sqrt(t+2*i*i)<2
#define F(a,b) for(a=0;a<b;++a)
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;int main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PointOut(x,y);}}}for(;;);}

davenull

Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:38 pm

no, I'm dispairing about this lame Raspi, it makes no sense to try to write code and copy and paste code from github or whatever and then debug, and all on this lame platform, on this tiny 11" screen and the lame internet website building .

I have partially 100-200 kB code to develop and I've died until I have managed to scroll through the code lines to find and rework something.

I need a crosscompiler, just like Geany, but on my Windows PC, or I have to abandon the whole Raspi thing completely.
float x,y,r,i,s,j,t,n;int main(){F(y,64){F(x,99){r=i=t=0;s=x/33-2;j=y/32-1;F(n,50&S){t=r*r-i*i;i=2*r*i+j;r=t+s;}if(S){PointOut(x,y);}}}for(;;);}

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:17 am

Something isn't right. Iceweasel should be faster than that.

Arduino is a simple platform, easier to make cross compilers work. In fact its one of the easiest to use platforms out there (I use embedded system dev kits that are a right PITA in comparison)

Linux is a complicated system, not so easy, but not impossible. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

There is lots of data out there on setting up cross compilers, mostly on Linux though, but there is stuff on Windows. You will need to install cygwin or similar. Running on Linux, even on a virtual machine, will make things a lot easier, as this is what most people do.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

davenull

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:28 am

Perhaps you're right, but I don't want to struggle with Linux, I want to program autonomous robots, just like I'm used to do it by my Arduino IDE,
which is also running on Windows feat. a gcc C/C++ crosscompiler.

I won't ever get along with Linux, never ever.
But there are more issues meanwhile about the Raspi, e.g.,
no easy accessable Timer Interrupts on Hardware level,
tons of completely cluttered, overcomplicated compile-link-make-build-parameter string novels to simply include simple libs (even failing simple libs),
not at least providing 2 hardware pwm pins,
far too less IOpins and ADC pins and DAC pins and UART pins and i2c pins...
- even already an Arduino Uno is more capable of these things than the Raspberry Pi, not to mention the Arduino Due.

So I think I have to abandon the Raspi approaches now, except there once will be a Raspi 3.0 feat a Arduino-like crosscompiler-or Web-IDE.
I'll re-sell my Raspi on Ebay now.

:(

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:51 am

davenull wrote:Perhaps you're right, but I don't want to struggle with Linux, I want to program autonomous robots, just like I'm used to do it by my Arduino IDE,
which is also running on Windows feat. a gcc C/C++ crosscompiler.

I won't ever get along with Linux, never ever.
But there are more issues meanwhile about the Raspi, e.g.,
no easy accessable Timer Interrupts on Hardware level,
tons of completely cluttered, overcomplicated compile-link-make-build-parameter string novels to simply include simple libs (even failing simple libs),
not at least providing 2 hardware pwm pins,
far too less IOpins and ADC pins and DAC pins and UART pins and i2c pins...
- even already an Arduino Uno is more capable of these things than the Raspberry Pi, not to mention the Arduino Due.

So I think I have to abandon the Raspi approaches now, except there once will be a Raspi 3.0 feat a Arduino-like crosscompiler-or Web-IDE.
I'll re-sell my Raspi on Ebay now.

:(
Removed profanity again from this user and issued a temp ban.........
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

davenull

Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:07 pm

what profanity ??

... rediculous !!

jamesh

Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:13 pm

davenull wrote:what profanity ??

... rediculous !!
It's been edited out...remember this forum is read by children, so the profanity acceptability level is quite low.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

davenull

Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:16 pm

in which respect is it profanity to use the word "effing"??

jamesh

Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:08 pm

davenull wrote:in which respect is it profanity to use the word "effing"??
Because it's short for another word that is profane?

Anyway, enough talk on this now, thanks.

Return to “C/C++”