cprins1908

C++ IDE

Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:27 pm

Dear all,

I'm a bit new into this Raspberry thing, but I have some software skills on various devices and in various languages
Of course I can write my C code using nano in a CL environment and then link everything together, but maybe that is a bit to much to start with.
So I'm wondering is there some sort of IDE for C++.
I found some things for Python but I came to the conclusion that the language and I don't go together well :D

I don't need something fancy, I hope you can help me out.

The part that I'm missing is how do I install this and I only need a simple GPIO (led blink or something) to start with

Thanks in advance

kusti8

Re: C++ IDE

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:52 pm

I use vim to learn C++ (although I haven't gotten around to it yet, too busy working on a project). It's easy then to just use g++ to compile it and run it.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

myoung008

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:12 pm

I use Qt Creator for all of my C and C++ projects. It works well whether or not you're using Qt in your project. It automates a lot of the build process with cmake and has integrated debugging and valgrind. It does pretty good with code completion too.

ejolson

Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:43 am

cprins1908 wrote:Of course I can write my C code using nano in a CL environment and then link everything together, but maybe that is a bit to much to start with.
In my opinion using make, gcc and a familiar text editor is the easiest way to get started with C programming. An introduction to Unix that is surprisingly relevant to Raspbian and other Linux systems is "The Unix Programming Environment" by Kernighan and Pike http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unix-Programmin ... 13937681X/. This book will guide you how to be a productive programmer using the command line utilities that have been available on all Unix and Unix-like systems for more than 30 years.

My experience is that the traditional command-line way is just as easy and just as productive as any integrated all-in-one IDE. Moreover, these tools are fast, prevent your project from becoming dependent on a particular IDE and are likely to be available for a long time in the future.

kgehmlich

Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:48 am

Not sure if you're looking to cross-compile from a full-fledged dev machine, but if you are, Eclipse has been working quite well for me. If I'm not mistaken you can also install and run Eclipse on the Pi, but I would expect it to be painfully slow.

That said, unless you plan on working on large projects with numerous source files, taking a more "bare bones" (e.g. vim&make or vim&g++) approach seems to jive with the whole idea of the Raspberry Pi ;)

Cheers,
Kyle

stephj

Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:51 am

There are several Linux based IDE's but if you are going to develop on your Pi, then not all of them are usable.

The only one I use on the Pi itself is Geany as it is quite lightweight. It has the bare bones of what you need, an X based code editor with one click compile, build and run menu options.

Eclipse and Anjuta include a lot more functionality and can be configured to be all things to all men. While they run fine on laptop and desktop machines they require too much processing power themselves for the pi to run them at any sort of pace. Eclipse is written mainly in Java, so the host machine has to run it in a Java jvm. Eclipse can take a while to get going on some desktops.

http://www.geany.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geany

To install it

sudo apt-get install geany

DanShaffer

Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:45 pm

Netbeans is my favorite. netbeans.org

Get Linux version or If running headless, can use Windows version and compile remotely to raspberry

note: the version on apt-get is old, have to download manually.

Return to “C/C++”