mark_boden

IDE for C++

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi there

I assume that you need an IDE like visual studio to program in C++ can someone please tell me which one to use.

Thanks

bust

Re: IDE for C++

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:11 am

Hi
you have the package (Geany) that work with the engine gtk2.
He seem work very well.
Regards

AndyD

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:42 am

mark_boden wrote:I assume that you need an IDE like visual studio to program in C++
No, you can edit, compile and run C++ code in the terminal. Here is a How To guide.

kusti8

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:47 am

I'm just learning c++ and find that vim and g++ work fine. You don't need an ide to program at all.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

memilanuk

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:49 am

You don't *need* an IDE... you can most stuff from the command line. Some people even enjoy that sort of thing :| A lot of folks like some sort of IDE, though.

Geany is one option. CodeBlocks is another, available for Windows and most major Linux distros... but I don't think it'd run on a Raspberry Pi (wrong architecture, i.e. ARM vs. x86). In fact, thats probably going to limit you on some of the more popular 'full-featured' IDEs, if you want to develop directly on or for the Pi. I'm not a C++ guy, so I might be talking out my wazoo on that...

If you're interested in getting started in coding in general, check out the online course CS50 from Harvard University. Think you might want to do that one from your PC, though ;)

bust

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:52 am

Hi
I agree that using command line could suffice and could be the better way, but for an user that have already
practiced to use graphic IDE it will more easy for him to start with an graphical IDE.
Regards

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:21 am

FWIW, I've used Code::Blocks on an original Pi, and even though it works foe general editing it's too slow. What I do is develop under Visual Studio on my laptop using cross platform libraries and then copy the files to my Pi to build the Pi version of my apps.

OTOH I wonder how C::B behaves on a Pi 2...

experix

Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:59 pm

I haven't used an IDE in years. I'm working in C (maybe there are good reasons to use an IDE with C++? I don't know) and my programs run in text terminals (they don't use X or gui). To me the IDE adds a layer of complication with little benefit. I like to use one text terminal with my modified nano editor (called xnano), another terminal to do compiling and miscellaneous stuff and maybe another for testing.
My editor is nano-1.2.5 with extensions that make it especially helpful for me. My modified sources are available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/experix ... o-wbm.tgz2 and you need the original from http://www.nano-editor.org (or I'll send you that if it has disappeared or something). These are the features I have added that help me a lot in maintaining big projects:

xnano interprets some useful TTY escape sequences, such as <esc>[7;32m to make the text following that appear in green reverse-video, and has a convenient keyboard shortcut for typing these sequences. Such sequences are interpreted by the terminal (and x-term as well), so they show up when viewed with the cat and less utilities. The xnano display can switch between TTY-escape display and syntax-colorization display by using the <alt>Y toggle.

xnano remembers those long strings that you type for filepaths and shelled commands so you can get them back with the up-arrow key. The edit buffer that it opens for a shelled command has the full command in its filepath display space (original nano only shows "New buffer" there).

In xnano these choices are per buffer, not global: <alt>Y (display colorization type), <alt>I (auto-indent), <alt>W (auto line-wrap), <alt>D and <alt>O (DOS- and MAC- style line format).

The <ctrl>R<alt>F sequence (to load a file into the current edit buffer rather than a new one) is one-shot, that is it does not apply to the next file load. (I always forgot to toggle that back and messed up many edit buffers by accidentally loading a file into the middle).

(I forgot this when I posted originally) <alt>Q toggles a buffer between "normal" and "view" mode (you can't make changes in it). This is extremely helpful when I want to compare two versions while making changes.
Last edited by experix on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogerW

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:52 pm

Opinions will differ.

I would be very reluctant to give up using an IDE for C++ development. For many years I used Visual Studio. I retired 14 years ago and only recently came back to programming. The ability to have multiple files open on different tabs, see the header file definition of an identifier by hovering the cursor, one click navigation to compile errors etc. mean I would not go back to the command line unless I really had to.

On the PC I use Eclipse. Depending on how specific your code is to the raspberry pi you can do the bulk of the programming on the PC and then transfer the files to the pi for compile/test. FileZilla is one way to manage the file transfer.

On the pi I use geany, mostly for python but I did try out a "hallo world" C++ program. I suspect some of the background tasks are a bit slow but I imagine a pi2 would make a big difference. Has anyone tried this?

Hope this helps.
Roger Woollett

panik

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:16 pm

I use Geany for almost everything. Mostly on my main Linux box with an ssh/sftp connection to the Pi, but on the Pi2 itself it runs great as well.

It's a little bit more than a simple text-editor, but not a full blown IDE. It has the multiple tabs, a file browser, a built-in terminal and a couple of buttons (compile/build/run) in the interface where you can link commands to. http://wiki.geany.org/howtos/configurebuildmenu

You can use those buttons to compile/build the project or call a Makefile (but typing 'make' in the built-in terminal is usually easier because I have it open anyway).
Microcontroller addon boards and software for Raspberry Pi A+/B+/Pi2:
- ARMinARM: ARM Cortex-M3 (STM32)
- AVRPi: ATmega32U4 & ATmega328 ("Arduino")
http://www.onandoffables.com

bust

Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:36 am

Hi
About: the functionality on (IDE)
If you wait more complete that Geany or Code::Blocks , you have also option to use emacs or xemacs where
one life complete would not suffice for controlling all his functions...
Regards

mbmahan39

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:19 pm

Is a cross compile enough on visual studio? If yes Visual GDB is the best. It's a plugin for visual studio and it works perfectly and they have examples and tutorials also. :geek:

arrow201

Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:17 pm

Anyone tried the Visual Studio GDB Debugger extension ?

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.micros ... c16cad9c01
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/ ... nsion.aspx

Looks promising, more work than VisualGDB but the price is right ...free :) The author says
he'll write up using it with Pi (I hope so !)

Return to “C/C++”