alexanderbrevig

Best framework for maximum video performance?

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:01 am

Hello everyone! My first post on here :D

I've been playing with a side project on and off and I've been struggeling to get my RPi to play 1080p videos, or rather - to minimize latency between swapping videos.

The end goal is to be able to play videos in sync with music through DMX (I will open source both the hat I made and the C++ program).

I have tried every combination I can think of between various codecs and H.264 settings - opencv - openmax - ffmpeg - QT - OpenFrameworks... The list is long.

I have ordered a couple of RPi 4 to see if they might help me, but my question still stands.

What do you recommend as the best framework for getting video loads fast and a stable 30fps 1080 video stream?

I would prefer to have a documented API at the lowest possible level (many of the frameworks I tried does not allow me to f.ex do double buffering (both in the next-frame-to-render sense, and in the load-next-movie-as-the-other-is-playing sense).

Thank you so much for any and all answers! Best regards,
Alexander

dividuum

Re: Best framework for maximum video performance?

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:22 pm

I'm not entirely sure I understand exactly what you're looking for, but my software info-beamer pi could be a candidate. It's scriptable in Lua, supports playing videos and offers frame exact control over what's on the screen at any moment. Videos can be preloaded in the background and then started instantly. Documentation as well as documentation (older example code, various production packages) exist. The only downside might be that's it's commercial software. For purely private use it can be used for free.
info-beamer hosted - A user and programmer friendly digital signage platform for the Pi: https://info-beamer.com/hosted

Return to “C/C++”