hamilc

Best programming environment

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:34 pm

I am about to embark on a relatively large Python program project. I would like suggestions as to the best configuration for development. I do not like to program using Nano as I would prefer a bettermore efficient GUI editor. Being a Windows person, I would like to program on my Windows computer and then transfer the file to the Pi. However, I found this is problematic in that windows does not encode spaces as linux would like to see. I have tried Leafpad but this GUI editor is rather slow and without features I am accustom to. Anyway I am asking the community what they find is the best way.

B.Goode

Re: Best programming environment

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:42 pm

I am not going to comment on what is 'best' as that is subjective, but you haven't mentioned either IDLE or Geany. Both are worth at least a quick look before you dismiss them.

gordon77

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:22 pm

I just use IDLE. I have used this on the pi and a Windows pc.

I couldn't save the python program in windows and then simply open it on the pi but l am sure l was able to cut and paste and that worked. I'm not at my pi or pc at the moment but can check next time.

Gordon77

Laurens-wuyts

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:27 pm

I'm using WinSCP to read/write the files straight from my RPI.
I've also put notepad++ as default text editor in WinSCP.

Laurens

BMS Doug

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:27 pm

I used to use the AdaFruit Web-IDE, it installs on the pi and acts as a website, browse to it from your preferred PC web-browser and away you go.

Python files are saved on the pi and run live on the pi.
Last edited by BMS Doug on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:33 pm

Might not be entirely relevant, but I've settled on a setup I'm quite happy with.

The PC is running windows with a virtualbox vm running Mint. I sync stuff across to the pi using this loop:

Code: Select all

while true; do inotifywait -r userland/host_applications/linux/apps; rsync -av --exclude userland/build userland pi:; done;
I edit from geany and have the make command set to

Code: Select all

ssh pi 'cd wherever; make'
ssh is set up with keys, so I don't get asked for a password.
You can do the same thing with the run command. Then it feels entirely like working locally but all the important stuff happens on the pi. You could also cross-compile and rsync the binary only, but for what I'm doing that doesn't work well.

aTao

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Best programming environment:
Computer (duh)
Coffee
Snacks
3am (bugs come out at 3am)

Can you get your PC to run a live CD or boot from flash drive Linux?
>)))'><'(((<

DougieLawson

Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:47 pm

aTao wrote:Best programming environment:
Computer (duh)
Coffee
Snacks

And I bet you'll edit your code with vi or emacs.

There's a lot to be said for Mobaxterm (which integrates an Xwindows server & a remote filemanager with PuTTY/ssh). But I'm sticking with an ssh session and vi.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

aTao

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:02 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
aTao wrote:Best programming environment:
Computer (duh)
Coffee
Snacks

And I bet you'll edit your code with vi or emacs.

There's a lot to be said for Mobaxterm (which integrates an Xwindows server & a remote filemanager with PuTTY/ssh). But I'm sticking with an ssh session and vi.
gedit is my choice (unless I'm beating my brains out with the Java IDE I used to be writing)
>)))'><'(((<

iinnovations

Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:29 pm

For python, Pycharm is the way to go. Saves loads of time with autocorrect on variables, methods, refactors, PEP syntax and style correction. Remote projects are easily configured and synchronized so that deployment is one click.

I've been a vi guy forever, but the advantages of a real IDE are too large to ignore. Pycharm also recognizes html and js syntax, so you can do it all in the same place.

You can use revision management too, but I still use git from my deployment computers.

Ask many python programmers and pycharm will be their response.
CuPID Controls :: Open Source browser-based sensor and device control
interfaceinnovations.org/cupidcontrols.html
cupidcontrols.com

adamwatson

Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:31 pm

I use eclipse with pydev add on. Works on both Windows and Linux, only issue I had was some python extensions are Windows or Linux specific

Adam

mike_p

Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:43 pm

I use notepad++ on my windows box and have set up samba on the pi for easy access to my source code for editing.
notepad++ retains the correct line endings, understands the syntax for most languages and has good code-folding and of course, it's free.

ibrahimansari

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:51 pm

Adafruit WebIDE is the way to go if the program is coded on Windows and run on the Pi.
NINJA-IDE is the most functional IDE that runs on the Pi but it defaults to Python 2.7 unless you change it.
PyCharm is the best IDE on Windows, it also runs on Linux, but it does not support Pi's architecture.
I is the master of Linux, Windows and the computer realms.
But always with a Pi(e). ;)

scidata

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:58 pm

Forth. The only 'frameworks' I use are those that I wrote myself. I don't have to recite chants to doctrinal gods. I just create.
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is" - Isaac Asimov

blackbeard

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:08 pm

Though PyCharm and everything else noted above is great, I'd always go with Sublime. Its extensions platform is great for installing language based add-ons, and its entire environment is great and very comfortable.

That being said... you can try Atom (by github), which is mainly for mac users, but was also modified for linux, and if you are feeling a little lazy and suicidal you can always edit code with gedit :P

RogerW

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:40 pm

I use Eclipse (with PyDev) on the PC and geany on the pi. I have samba running on the pi so can use normal explorer to transfer files. A good alternative for file transfer is FileZilla.

Roger Woollett

Return to “Python”