rambo919

Best Python IDE

Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Alright guys,

So I'm new to all this RPi stuff and recently bought one for use at University. We're going to be doing a lot of audio programming (plugins, tone generators etc...) as well as configuring small bits of hardware for use as software controllers.

What would you guys recommend as the best IDE for Python on the RPi?

Cheers!

gandar

Re: Best Python IDE

Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:09 pm

Python 3x and Idle3 is my combo of choice but I learned on it so it has stick with me.

DougieLawson

Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:37 pm

What's wrong with vi to edit the python and a command line to run it/debug it.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

KenT

Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:59 pm

Add IDLEX to IDLE to get a lot of nice things that IDLE does not have such as line numbers. I use IDLEX then I run the program from the command line and lots of print statements for debugging.

[edited to make sense]
Last edited by KenT on Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

riklaunim

Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:24 pm

I use PyCharm for all of my Python coding. It can't run on RPi, but it can more or less code on it remotely via SSH and SSHFS on desktop Linux. Also if you want to learn Python there is a PyCharm Educational edition with lessons and things like that :)

paddyg

Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:33 pm

I found that there were one or two things that won't work in IDLE (something to do with curses I think) so that a significant number of the pi3d demos won't run. In the end I gave up and used geany which is pretty light weight and runs well on the RPi (and will build and run C etc if you need other languages)
also https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB&fromgroups=#!forum/pi3d

Leafrustle

Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:10 am

I use geany a lot of the time too. My all time favourite is PyScripter, but that, I am sorry to say, only runs on Windows.

mmkw43

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:37 pm

I've been learning Python and using IDLE but want something that has intuitive auto complete (to the max) -- which IDE will givce the best experience with pop up completion. This is great for the beginner. Heck even my Visual studio does a great job at this so maybe something like that.

Thanks very much.

mmkw43

Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:56 pm

Pycharm looks awful good -- ??

RST8

Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Another vote for Pycharm. I've just started using it and it's pretty good, the community edition is free.
When you're used to autocomplete, it's hard to go back. The refactor / clean up tools are pretty good, along with visual indent guides.

I've also tried the Visual Studio Python addon and that's pretty good too, especially if you're used to Visual Studio. With the recent release of the 2013 community edition that's also free for up to 5 users and you get the team features, with Git if you wish.

Pycharm is obviously might lighter in footprint, I find it works well on a netbook, I have a SSH session to execute. I'm working on some minecraft python code so am always on a remote session anyway. A pity there isn't a Pi version of pycharm.

Joe

mmkw43

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:37 pm

VS has a Python add on? Will look at that also. Thanks.

richlane

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:24 am

Looks like I'm vaugely timely for a change. I am going to have a go at finding something in the next few days. A number of the replies seem to be talking about running visual studio or pycharm (presumably in Windows or maybe a Linux PC for pycharm) and just using the RPi as the target whereas I'd be looking for something that runs on the RPi itself. Some schools use PyScripter on windows but that doesn't port to the RPi. That's the equivalent I'd be looking for. I'm not convinced IDLE is the way forward although it is there by default I guess. A couple of people mention geany. Is this a text editor or does it support debug with breakpointing etc?

paddyg

Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:30 am

One of the issues with running things on the RPi is that it can be excruciating to start and run large applications. There do seem to be debugging plugins for geany but I haven't tried them (will do that now though to see how/if they work). I've always managed with print()s when debugging python but maybe I've not been as efficient as I could have been!
PS plugin debugger only seems to work with gdb at the moment by default.. I have found geanypdb but not installed it yet.
also https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB&fromgroups=#!forum/pi3d

gelfling6
Location: Canton, Connecticut, USA, Planet Earth, SOL-3, Milkyway Galaxy, 3rd star on the left...

Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:32 pm

I'm slowly (if anything could crawl slower than a snail) cutting my teeth on Python 2.7.8, and using gedit as the editor under Linux on a laptop running Ultimate Edition 3.5 (a UBUNTU variant). Mostly pointed to this by Zed Shaw's book, "Learn Python The Hard Way", 3rd edition. I like how gedit highlights the code automatically, and it's a nice compact text editor. I may eventually migrate to Python 3, but for now, still on that newbies learning curve. :mrgreen:

Stephen (gelfling6)

Return to “Python”