chorlton2080

tumble dryer controller

Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:30 pm

I have a tumble dryer with basic timer settings that I recently decided to control using a Pi and a DHT22 temp/humidity sensor positioned in the exhaust vent.

The Pi emails and activates a wireless doorbell when the clothes are regarded as being dry, which is often much sooner than the timer guides for the machine, thus saving power and minimising damage to fabrics.

I decided this approach was better than controlling the power to the unit because of safety concerns (and the inevitable creases that come from not removing clothes quickly enough!)

Is anyone interested in the details?

Dr Morbius

Re: tumble dryer controller

Tue May 05, 2015 9:53 am

Am about to embark on a project to automate a young tumble dryer, where the the main controller board has died and would cost 2/3 of the machine value to replace :( . The machine is modern and already has vent sensors for temp and humidity.

Would be most interested to see details of your project to learn from - please share!
At this stage, am considering either the Raspberry Pi A option (as I already have one of these, unused), or using an Arduino board.
But I don't want to spend what would be needed to buy a new OEM controller!

Any thoughts appreciated :-)

michaelflood83

Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Hi Chortlon2080. This is really interesting. Did it work well? Would you be willing to sell?

pileit

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:13 pm

I had the same idea, though my though was originally to replace the buzzer with an SMS (less obnoxious), and the idea for temp monitoring and premature shut-off (based on humidity) came later.

I'd love more details on how your setup works!

I've got the SMS portion down, and since the dryer uses 120VAC internally for most functions (only the heater runs on 240VAC, natively) I was going to try:
- For sensing: use a standard 120VAC receptacle to tap specific lines (the buzzer for signalling and the motor circuit to power the pi) and wall-warts to step-down/convert the voltage to something appropriate for the pi along with a pull-up/pull-down transistor circuit for the GPIO.
- For control (premature stop): a simple tap on the door switch, using a solid state relay (parallel or series, depending on if it's NO or NC

The next iteration would be to delay-start the washing machine, but that's another day's project ;)

Return to “Python”