seulater

PyCharm Development suggestions

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:21 pm

I could really use your guys advise for something that i think would be commonplace to do. Yet i am having a terrible time finding the information i need to do the following.

My goal is to code in Python using an IDE for a Win7 PC. I would also like the ability to download, and debug if needed.
Being that i come from C and Eclipse background, i have accomplished doing this this with very little time. However, so far its been a total opposite trying this for Python. I have poked around the net and i am shocked that its not riddled with results for doing this. From what i can tell many people are using text editors to write their code, and moreover they are writing the code on the pi directly. For myself, I will need a more productive environment than a text editor. I need features like source folder trees and so on. I have a hard time believing i am in the minority here for doing this.

I have installed PyCharm, which as the IDE is concerned seem to be just what i am looking for. Yet so far been unable to get it to use the interpreter on the board rather than the one on the PC, and also download my code and run it remotely.

Thank you for your time

riklaunim

Re: PyCharm Development suggestions

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:24 pm

I use PyCharm (the full paid version) and it can use interpreters via SSH. So it can index it and also execute code on the board. If you would use Linux you could use SSHFS to mount a folder from Raspberry as local folder on your PC and give it to the IDE (although it will be annoying to remount it on lost connections). Other option is to use for example fabric to deploy code from PC to Raspberry and there execute it via IDE SSH connection or plain console SSH connection.

A tutorial is coming on that, for now I only have the Polish version of it ;)

seulater

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:03 pm

I do have a my laptop setup with Linux on it, which i can try it there as well. I just wanted first to try it on my main Win7 box first.
So far I have been able to get it to upload to the pi. then i have to (like you said) through the terminal run it. The only pain i have found so far is that every time it uploads a change i have to first do chmod +x (name of file) then i can run it.

it just seems so weird to me that doing this in C was a breeze, to compile, download and even debug remotely on my PC. Python seems to have allot more users for embedded linux which i figured doing this would be even simpler. Just seems strange that its not.

Thanks for the reply though!

riklaunim

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:13 pm

You can always execute Python script with "python thefile.py" then it won't have to be executable.

seulater

Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:04 am

thanks for the tip.

seulater

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:25 pm

riklaunim wrote:I use PyCharm (the full paid version) and it can use interpreters via SSH. So it can index it and also execute code on the board. If you would use Linux you could use SSHFS to mount a folder from Raspberry as local folder on your PC and give it to the IDE (although it will be annoying to remount it on lost connections). Other option is to use for example fabric to deploy code from PC to Raspberry and there execute it via IDE SSH connection or plain console SSH connection.

A tutorial is coming on that, for now I only have the Polish version of it ;)
Well, you were right, I tried it in Linux Mint, and it worked like a charm!

daniel995r

Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:13 am

seulater wrote:I do have a my laptop setup with Linux on it, which i can try it there as well. I just wanted first to try it on my main Win7 box first.
So far I have been able to get it to upload to the pi. then i have to (like you said) through the terminal run it. The only pain i have found so far is that every time it uploads a change i have to first do chmod +x (name of file) then i can run it.

it just seems so weird to me that doing this in C was a breeze, to compile, download and even debug remotely on my PC. Python seems to have allot more users for embedded linux which i figured doing this would be even simpler. Just seems strange that its not.

Thanks for the reply though!
Seulater, just for interest's sake which IDE did you use to remotely compile and debug C?

seulater

Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:18 pm

It was eclipse. I have been using Visual GDB now and love it.
http://visualgdb.com/

I use Visual GDB with Visual Studio Community edition.
http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downl ... Families_2

Return to “Python”