thebison

IDLE for Python on Debian

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:18 am

Hi

Downloaded the Debian install which has Python on it but it doesnt seem to have the IDLE editor. Trying to go through a Beginning Python book that uses IDLE

Do I have to uninstall Python and re-install from a download?

Thanks

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: IDLE for Python on Debian

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:45 am

No. just install IDLE:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install idle
IDLE comes as standard in the big Windows install, but Debian packages each bit separately.

thebison

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks. Seems to work but a failed fetch on idle_2.6.6-3+squeeze6_all.deb. A 404 found

Seems to be working.

Thank you

DavidMS

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Following the instructions from the earlier post, I get Idle running fine but I am not able to save anything - I just get error 13, Permission denied '/test.py' - it does not seem to matter where I try to save it ?

My guess is that I am missing some nugget of fundamental knowledge on the whole Linux Permissions 'thing', which I am sure is great for those in the know but is a little confusing for those of us who have had out minds corrupted by many years of Bill G's products
http://meanderingpi.wordpress.com/
11 Raspberry Pi's and counting....

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:37 am

I started using SPE (sp?), but I,ve since moved to Geany - both of them are pre-installed in the 19042012 Debian distro and do the simple stuff I want as I,m learning python - whats so good about IDLE ?

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

thebison

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:11 am

The folder you are saving to you need to change the permissions. By default (I think) Linux/Unix will set the premissions to some global setting.

ONE way around this is when you log in, before you start startx, navigate to the folder that is just above where you want to save it to.

Run (without quotes) "ls -lrta"

You should see the folder listed and it MAY read something like

-r--r--r--

You need a "w" and if you want to execute you need an "x" replacing the "-"

To do this (this is NOT the best method but look up the command):-

chmod 777 (foldername_you_want_to_change)

This should do the trick

DavidMS wrote:Following the instructions from the earlier post, I get Idle running fine but I am not able to save anything - I just get error 13, Permission denied '/test.py' - it does not seem to matter where I try to save it ?

My guess is that I am missing some nugget of fundamental knowledge on the whole Linux Permissions 'thing', which I am sure is great for those in the know but is a little confusing for those of us who have had out minds corrupted by many years of Bill G's products

thebison

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:13 am

texy wrote:I started using SPE (sp?), but I,ve since moved to Geany - both of them are pre-installed in the 19042012 Debian distro and do the simple stuff I want as I,m learning python - whats so good about IDLE ?

Texy
Its just one flavour of Linux and is recommended for beginners. It has a windows style desktop called startx. I guess it has some other features but not sure

I am used to different versions but my son is learning so we are sticking with Debian at the minute

yeahbox

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:16 am

texy wrote:whats so good about IDLE ?
The good thing with IDLE is that it comes with the standard distribution of Python and it works (the same) in Win/MacOS/Linux. So if you want to be up and running quickly it is an excellent choice if IDE/editor. However it soon becomes too limited in functionality and then there are many other better IDEs to choose from.

Return to “Python”