Si.

Re: Slice of Pi and blink LED

Fri May 11, 2012 8:38 pm

I have been playing with the 'Slice of Pi' board and driving an LED using the RPi.GPIO library in Python.

It works pretty well, full write up on my blog here

HansH

Sat May 12, 2012 9:17 am

good job..

I have 2 slice of Pi boards waiting for a RPi.

Indeed that power connector can be handy.

mkopack

Sat May 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Likewise... have the Slice of Pi board, just waiting on a Pi (hopefully this coming week...)

And yes, good call on the power connector. I'll have to do that on mine as well...

The 1 concern I have had with this SoP board is the potential to short out any solder pads on the bottom of the board against any components sticking up on the RPi board (like the CSI connector). I assume that's a non-issue?

Si.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:48 pm

Sorry - only just spotted this reply.

No the Slice sits with the bottom of the board about 5mm above the Pi, so no problem with shorts.

Fanjita

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:44 pm

There is some potential for the Slice Of Pi to move and short against one of the components on the pi, though - I don't have my pi in front of me to check exactly which component that is, but it's in a round metal package. I wound up doing two things to avoid any problems :
  • Put a small sticker on top of that component
  • mounted the IC I was using on the underside of the board, so its plastic package would be the thing that came in contact with the component on the pi board.
Other than that, it fits over a mostly empty area of the board, near the raspberry symbol, so there's very little other risk of problems.

I'm really happy with the Slice of Pi - I just bought my second one, after making a "motor controller shield" with the first one. I haven't yet tried using the XBee support, although I plan to rectify that soon.

Return to “Python”