josh89

Re: I heard Python's good and so's this guide .....

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Well i did , i did have a brief stint using python about 4-5 years ago when i was doing my Diploma in Networking but i didn't really get much involved with it then, call me young and stupid but now (especially since the news about RasPi) i have taken a new interest in the world of programming, though i will be taking my personal projects away from the work related script level and have more fun i need to learn it again and learn it like i don't know anything about it

So i did some googling and stumbled upon this website

http://learnpythonthehardway.org

I'm only up to the first exercise but it seems as though for anyone who doesn't have a single idea about programming this is a great place to start (don't let the title scare you)

My philosophy is that when you start something new learn the very basics and this seems to fit that very well. Hopefully i will get a good grasp on this language and build from there

so anyone new i suggest this to you

antiloquax

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Yes, Learn Python the Hard Way has a very good reputation.

Just in case it's of any interest, I have put a few good Python tutorials in a tar.gz archive.

It includes the book you mention (I downloaded the HTML files for offline browsing), Swaroop's "A Byte of Python", Mark Pilgrim's "Dive into Python", Al Swigert's books on "Making Games" and a couple of other things. It's here:

Python Tutorials

josh89

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:06 pm

sweet cheers, i'll get to them as soon as I've mastered it the hard way thanks for the help

andyl

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:35 pm

Yep I've been recommending it for a month or so now for complete newbies.

Hope you have fun and stick with it.

budgieboy

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:45 pm

@antiloquax

Yep, I've got all those and along with the python documentation, pretty much all you need, particularly as a beginner, is contained in these.

12+10... my biggest sum yet

antiloquax

Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:41 pm

budgieboy said:

@antiloquax

Yep, I've got all those and along with the python documentation, pretty much all you need, particularly as a beginner, is contained in these.

Yes, I agree. The Python documentation for 3.1.4 is included in my archive. Hopefully might be useful to those not as experienced as you!

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:20 pm

http://learnpythonthehardway.org

Doing my very best Tina Turner impersonation:

"We nevah, evah, do anything nice ... and easy!"
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

andyl

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:32 pm

I've just found out about The Hacker Shelf today.  It has many (legally) free books on tech stuff.

Here are the Python books available -

http://hackershelf.com/topic/python/

Note the site uses hacker in the same sense as the Jargon File - "A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and stretching their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary."

antiloquax

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:28 pm

andyl said:

Here are the Python books available -

http://hackershelf.com/topic/python/

This looks like a great find! Thanks for the link!

Return to “Python”