SeppPi

Waveshare - send picture via email

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:42 am

Hello,

I finally set up my Waveshare GSM/GPRS board and I am able to send commands to it and it works.
What I want to do is to send pictures I made with the camera (they are stored every 5 minutes in a directory) to an email address. Thru the waveshare board. And I don't know where to begin. I would be happy to get some ideas. Thanks.

SeppPi

Re: Waveshare - send picture via email

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:27 am

Hello, is nobody out there who could help out? Greeetings

B.Goode

Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:12 am

SeppPi wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:27 am
Hello, is nobody out there who could help out? Greeetings

What I want to do is to send pictures I made with the camera (they are stored every 5 minutes in a directory) to an email address. Thru the waveshare board. And I don't know where to begin. I would be happy to get some ideas.

As with many IT projects, break down the overall task into smaller components that you can tackle separately.

It seems you already know how to take and store the images. So that part is dealt with.

If this were my project I would investigate how to send a simple text email with no attachment in the first instance.

If you haven't already done so, that in turn might need you to research how to use your cell service interface to establish a connection to the global internet. And that will probably need a subscription to a cellular network service provider.

Or alternatively you might want to look for an SMS-to-email gateway, again probably needing a subscription.

Once you know how to send a plain text email, modifying the process to attach a specified image file should be a relatively simple additional change.

SeppPi

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:02 am

Hello. Thanks for advise. I did what you suggested.
It works.
The only things now is, how can I access the GPIO ports, when the waveshare modul is on the PI?

SeppPi

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:10 am

Ok. I found a shim from PIFACE. But how do I know, which GPIO's I can use? Any idea?

B.Goode

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:32 pm

SeppPi wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:10 am
Ok. I found a shim from PIFACE. But how do I know, which GPIO's I can use? Any idea?

You need to read the datasheet or other documentation for all the HATs, pHATs and other add-ons you plan to connect to see what their gpio pin usage is, to determine and deal with any possible conflicts.

For some add-ons you might find this reference site helpful: https://pinout.xyz/boards

(But it does not include your Waveshare board.)

Return to “Python”