nonaromona

Continuous Servo - How to make it slow with high torque?

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi there,

I purchased "Feetech FS90R 360° Continuous Rotation Micro Servo" and used if to make smart curtains. I used a very simple code (shown below).

I would like to make it slower but also keep a higher torque. Could you suggest me with some ideas on how to tackle this? Also, if you know how to make it quieter, that would be welcome as well.

Thanks,
Mat

Code: Select all

import time
import pigpio
pi = pigpio.pi()
pi.set_mode(17, pigpio.OUTPUT)
pi.set_servo_pulsewidth(17, 1400)
try:
	time.sleep(40)
finally:
	pi.set_servo_pulsewidth(17, 0)

mattmiller

Re: Continuous Servo - How to make it slow with high torque?

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:37 pm

A gearbox maybe?
Last edited by mattmiller on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Idahowalker

Re: Continuous Servo - How to make it slow with high torque?

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:39 pm

By using a full metal gear servo you can get increased torque capacity.

Making the servo quiet. How are you powering the servo?

I prefer to power the servo with its own supply. Say I have a 9V supply. The uController needs some voltage so I build a 5V power supply for the uController. The servo I use can use 5V so I build a separate regulator for the servo. I tie the two regulators together at their ground and they both can use the same 9V supply ( 2+ Amps). Having the servos with their own well regulated voltage supply has given me the biggest sound reduction.

Want to slow them down, then drive them in smaller increments per range of travel. Such as if you want to drive the servo by 5 degrees drive the servo 1 degree at a time in between.

Putting a large electrolytic cap on the output of the servo regulator helps deal with those surge current requirements.
Without knowing why you are deleting my postings, I will not know how...

Return to “Python”