Brandon92 wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:11 pm
How did you find out that they are real?
I don't know. I can make 101 guesses. Below is one.
1. Any die manufacturer can easily make legally 3700 type dies, which may not have the same circuitry, but same functionality of the original HCPL3700. No one copycats the original circuit, which is so simple, so many late comers actually improves the function, or even add more functions, but still backward compatible.
2. One such 3700 manufacturer legally sells the wafers to assembly and testing factories in ShenZhen, under some sort of legal commercial contract.
3. The assembly, testing, and quality control standard of the ShenZhen factory is of course very poor, much below military, industrial, or even consumer standard, but nothing illegal.
And for a very poor hobbyist like me, paying 2 yuan for one A3700, what do I expect?
4. The ShenZhen factory cannot mark their chip Fairchild HPCL3700 for copyright reasons. But I think it is not illegal to mark A3700, B3700 etc.
5. So it is like AMD and Intel, or Pepsi Cola and Coca Cola, ...
The above is just an educated guess. I did once read an Ali-Express seller of A3700 says that their dies are imported