liudr

"Run Module" missing from IDLE menu

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:36 pm

I installed IDLEX, the extension to the poorman's IDLE. On one of my pc machines, I noticed today that the "Run Module" or F5 is missing from the IDLE IDE when I open IDLEX script to run IDLE. It wasn't missing since I've been using IDLEX for a while. The first thing I'll notice is it won't run my code. So it just happened today. The option is gone from the menu and F5 doesn't do anything anymore. If I don't run IDLEX but just open IDLE, the "Run Module" is still there. But I want line numbers and horizontal scrolling. Does anyone know what could have caused it to disappear?

I checked Settings under Keys tab. Running IDLE, I have run-module - <Key-F5> in Custom Key Bindings. But if I run IDLEX, this binding is not there and I can't edit it. Where can I find the file that stores the key bindings? I have uninstalled IDLEX and reinstalled. The problem is not resolved with un/reinstalling.

Check Module is also missing.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

liudr

Re: "Run Module" missing from IDLE menu

Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:29 pm

It's strange that uninstall/reinstall doesn't solve the problem. Anyone with some ideas? I could uninstall Python but I have to reinstall all modules.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

DirkS

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:42 pm

liudr wrote:It's strange that uninstall/reinstall doesn't solve the problem. Anyone with some ideas? I could uninstall Python but I have to reinstall all modules.
You could try purge / reinstall.Purge also removes configuration files.

liudr

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:49 am

How do you purge? Thanks.

DirkS

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:34 am

liudr wrote:How do you purge? Thanks.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge <packagename>

liudr

Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:05 pm

OK it's been a while. I still have the issue of IDLEX missing Run Module. I'm on a windows system. There is no purge. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't solve the problem. Strangely IDLE still has the Run Module.

tom.slick

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:08 am

liudr wrote:OK it's been a while. I still have the issue of IDLEX missing Run Module. I'm on a windows system. There is no purge. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't solve the problem. Strangely IDLE still has the Run Module.
Contact the author
http://ews.illinois.edu/~serwy/

That comes from that IDLEX about page
http://idlex.sourceforge.net/about.html

hakankahraman28

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:04 am

I faced the same problem. The solution is to uninstall python. Then you must clean register files after removing. You should use CCleaner or another tools to clean register files. Then you can install Python and see the run tab. It is imprtant to clear register files after removing Python to solve this problem.

srikmohan

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:58 am

There is a workaround.
Go to File>Open Module
It will ask for any name of python of python module to open. You can give the name of any old file that you have saved OR enter any existing file names in the Python folder, such as 'run' . Click OK

This will open a editor with an existing file. in the new window you can see the Run Command in this editor. Dont update the current file. Instead you can do a File>New file and use the new file space.

Thanks
Krishna

Return to “Python”