henuz96

Queuing System

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:57 pm

hiya i am very new to raspberry pi so need a bit of help with the coding

i am looking to make a queuing system for a classroom for when students ask for help they don't get skipped in the queue of students also asking for help from the teacher.

so what would happen is that when a student needs help they will flick a switch at their desk which will send a message to the raspberry pi. the pi will then send a message to a 7 seg display to show they computer that needs help.

as soon as the switch is also switched it will start a 5 minute timer which is the maximum amount of time each student gets for help.

if the 5 minutes runs out a bell and strobe light will go off to show the 5 minutes is up and the teacher will move on to the next student and flick the students switch off.

if the student the help that is needed before the 5 minutes is up, the switch will be switched off which will cancel the 5 minutes for that user.

if there is a next student in the queue the 5 minutes will then start for them as soon as they become first in the queue.

i hope this makes sense and would be great if i could get some help on it.

cheers

henry

HankB

Re: Queuing System

Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:54 am

Hi Henry,
(Good name, BTW ;) ) In this scenario do you have a Pi at each student's desk? Or does each student have a switch that goes to a central Pi that manages all?

If a Pi at each desk, does it have a monitor and keyboard or just the switch? (That begs the question about managing the wiring to each Pi or will they be networked wirelessly and battery powered?)

best,
hank

ghp

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:36 am

Hello,
another question: this is a computer lessen ? Do the kid's computers have an ethernet connection and the 'queue-system' could get access to this net ? Then you could use this infrastructure to build a web based application and you would not need to have long cables connected to a Pi.
Regards,
Gerhard

Nice idea to set up a Pi based queue system. I support a computer lesson in a school nearby and also have thought about solutions for this problem. My idea (although not implemented yet) was to use cardboard sheets for each group which they could stack on my desk when support is needed.

henuz96

Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:22 am

Hank

thanks for the reply

all of the computers will connect to a single pi which I guess could be called the mother board and as a single pi will control all of the computers.

GPH

I agree with your idea of a web based messaging but I specifically want cables as it is for a project of mine for electronics.

if someone could help me with the coding I would very much appreciate it.

cheers

Henry

ghans

Fri May 13, 2016 9:56 am

How fit are you with the electronic side of things ? Can you show us a schematic of the proposed system ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Python”