Mendes91

Square Brackets

Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi there guys
I'm trying to learn something about python and I came across with square brackets. I'm using a macbook pro and I use the raspberry through vnc. I know how to input the square brackets in pages or word but in idle the same key does nothing and I can't find a way to use them. Can anyone help pls?

Best regards

HankB

Re: Square Brackets

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:11 pm

Have you set your keyboard to match the country you're in? I had trouble with the '#' character (*) until I figured out that I needed to change to US configuration. That's one of the things you can do using 'raspi-config'

(*) I kept getting this funny looking 'L' character that some country uses to denote their currencly. :lol: :roll:

Mendes91

Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:51 pm

I tried that and still couldn't do it.. Any other option you know about?

HankB

Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:16 pm

I have very little experience with Apple products but I do have a Macbook on which I run OS X and/or Linux depending on what I want to do. I always find the modifier keys at the bottom left of the keyboard a little confusing (as which one is <alt>, which is <ctrl> and so on.) The only other thing I can think of is to try pressing one of those when you press the square bracket keys to see if that produces the expected character.

It seems remote but worth a try (if you haven't already tried that.)

Sorry I can't be more help.

klricks

Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Mendes91 wrote:I tried that and still couldn't do it.. Any other option you know about?
The keyboard setting in raspi-config only works on the keyboard attached to the RPi, not the remote keyboard.
The remote keyboard must be configured in whatever vnc client you are using. Google for details.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

tempidoro

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:46 pm

I have the same problem concerning the square and courl brakets on Macbook connecte to raspberry (IDLE). Somebody has found the solution? Thanks

Return to “Python”