alexxx

IDE for tkinter programming

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:29 am

... the title says it all :-)

I tinkered a bit under IDLE, but I read around that - since IDLE is itself a tkinter program - writing/debugging in tkinter would be a mess.

I also managed to build ipython-notebook, but to a notebook interface I prefer one where I edit a .py file, then my IDE runs it (usually under a debugger, letting me see variables, run code at breakpoints etc...)

do you know if something similar exists???

thank you!

alessandro

RogerW

Re: IDE for tkinter programming

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:00 am

It is quite possible to create tkinter programs using IDLE, I am surprised to hear that it is a tkinter program. Personally I prefer geany which you can also use for C/C++ and other languages.

alexxx

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:16 am

RogerW wrote:It is quite possible to create tkinter programs using IDLE, I am surprised to hear that it is a tkinter program. Personally I prefer geany which you can also use for C/C++ and other languages.
thank you for your suggestion.
I don't know geany, but one thing that I'd like to do is - during debugging, stopped at a breakpoint - to be able to run python code in the program environment.
Under IDLE I cannot find a way to do it, but is it possible in Geany?

RogerW

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:32 am

I don't think geany supports debugging in the way the more sophisticated IDEs do. In any case I have never set breakpoints in python - I use primitive print statements for debugging. Python does support some debugging - look for the bdb module.

Maybe someone with more experience can contribute.

Return to “Python”