richbpark

Updating 3.2.3 to Current Revision

Sat May 30, 2015 3:12 pm

I would appreciate learning how to update Python 3.2.3 to the latest Python version. I've searched unsuccessfully to find this process. I'm certain this is posted but what I've located does not solve my problem. I'm a beginner at doing systematic things, but can find my way around the CLI and follow directions to get things to work. Here is what I need to know:

1) I need to upgrade from Python 3.2.3 to the latest. The programs I'm writing using Turtle Graphics work on Python 3.4.3 on my Mac and PC but not on Python 3.2.3 on the RPi. I'm assuming version levels are the problem as most other things work.
2) What is the end-to-end process to update to the latest version. The processes I've found and attempted, though well documented, still leave version 3.2.3 installed. I just do not know Linux well enough (but am very willing to learn and share)
3) My goal is to successfully install the latest version of Python, have this version appear in the RPi Menu>Programming, and remove the older version.

I'm a middle school educator and use Turtle Graphics with Scratch and wish to create parallel lessons in Python for more advanced students worthy of a challenge once they've learned the concept in Scratch.

Apologies for my ignorance, but this is my first time on this forum. The Raspberry Pi is such a powerful teaching tool that my most motivated students could affort to purchase. Also, in special cases I can personally afford to buy a Raspberry Pi for a deserving student but not a PC and a Mac is out of reach.

Thank you - Rich

croston

Re: Updating 3.2.3 to Current Revision

Sat May 30, 2015 10:59 pm

This question has been asked before: viewtopic.php?t=76380&p=545419

To build and install Python 3.4 on Raspbian Wheezy (disclaimer: I've not fully tested these commands):

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install libncurses-dev libreadline-dev tk-dev
$ sudo apt-get install libsqlite3-dev sqlite3
$ sudo apt-get install libgdbm-dev libssl-dev
$ sudo apt-get install libbz2-dev libexpat1-dev liblzma-dev zlib1g-dev
$ wget https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.4.3/Python-3.4.3.tar.xz
$ tar xvfJ Python-3.4.3.tar.xz
$ cd Python-3.4.3
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install
$ cd ..
$ sudo rm -rf Python-3.4.3

metalj

Sun May 31, 2015 12:15 am

Did you try python 2?
Backspace 28 times :)

kusti8

Sun May 31, 2015 1:02 am

metalj wrote:Did you try python 2?
Why would you try python 2? That version is old also, and if the OP prefers python 3, then it's trivial to build it yourself.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

richbpark

Sun May 31, 2015 1:56 am

Yes I did try Python 2 with the same results as Python 3.2.3. So far only one turtle graphic command does not work, and that means it does not follow the textbook I'm planning to use.

Return to “Python”