devindied

RasPi hooked to my Hard Drive Wireless solution

Wed May 30, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm in the process of getting a RasPi, Model B, and want to learn some basic programming, as well as my ultimate goal of hooking this thing up to my 2 USB hard drives( 2 TB and a WD 320GB) for my photography business. I hate having a SSD with 128GB of space on my macbook pro and having to hook up these drives every time i need to edit, dump files, or do anything. I know, an easy solution would be go back to HDD or get a bigger SSD but this project seems more fun and rewarding. The whole point of this RasPi from my understanding is to bring more people into the programming world. So here I am. I'm tech savvy, 20 YO going to the University of Houston for my Electrical Eng. Degree, so learning the programming side along with my hardware knowledge could come in handy one day.

I hear a lot about the python language, so i assume i can start with that. Since I'm having a hard time getting my hands on a RasPi, None the less I'm in the process, I was thinking of maybe...maybe... putting debian on my macbook pro. I looked at the wiki, but it seems crazy hard. I guess if you want the OS to recognize all your wifi, bluetooth, graphics, etc it may be to overwhelming. I really want to start getting my feet wet ASAP but have no hardware other than this.

I appreciate your advice and help in advance, Devin
Raspberyy Pi Model B (soon to get.... i hope.....)
2012 MacBook Pro 17 2.5 i7 Quad, 8GB Ram, 1GB GDDR5 GPU, 128GB Samsung 810 SSD
OSX 10.7 Lion / Windows 7 Ultimate / "Future linux"

jbeale

Re: RasPi hooked to my Hard Drive Wireless solution

Wed May 30, 2012 9:39 pm

I gather you want to access your 2 TB HDD over a wireless link. That's certainly possible, and probably a fun project but be aware that if you are transferring large amounts of data, a direct wired link like USB2 or USB3 is always going to be much faster than wireless. For business use where time is money, I'd think hardwired is going to serve you best, except for small files or occasional use.

devindied

Wed May 30, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks for your fast response. I appreciate your advise on wired connections vs wireless. As you already know, "Time is Money", Which is why I'm currently working threw the wire. This would be just a fun project that can get my feet wet. Now you say it is indeed possible, but do you know the route I should take? Thanks again, Devin

jbeale

Thu May 31, 2012 12:24 am

I have not done this myself, but I believe you can attach an externally powered USB hard drive to the R-Pi along with a USB WiFi adaptor (use a powered hub, the Pi can't support heavy current draws from USB devices). Then you can mount the drive and set up Samba to share the files via wifi to your laptop. That project is more installing and configuring, it should not really involve programming.

Note, this is an example of NAS (network attached storage) with your network connection being WiFi as opposed to the more common hardwired ethernet, so you can find tutorials for setting up NAS useful. You need to set up the file sharing from both the Mac side, and the R-Pi side, here are the steps to take:

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_NAS
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549?viewlocale=en_US

devindied

Thu May 31, 2012 5:18 pm

Thank you very much for your links. I will try this out as soon as i get a donor pc running and install linux. That way I'm prepared for the raspberry pi.

Return to “General programming discussion”