DuncanKennedy

QTonPi General Information

Sat May 26, 2012 10:45 pm

For quite a while there has been a QTonPi distribution on the downloads page, and yet there is virtually no discussion of this topic in the forums!

Let's get started talking about this. What is it? When and why would you use it? What is the best way to get started with it? Are there tutorials available?

I know there are members on line who helped create this distribution. Let's start sharing information and get people excited about this!
Duncan
The mind is an infinite resource, provided you don't waste it!

nmstoker

Re: QTonPi General Information

Tue May 29, 2012 12:52 am

Yes, good point. I found the Debian release intuitive, based on my Ubuntu / general computing background. But trying QTonPi was a bit of a mystery - there are some involved instructions on the Nokia site, but they're sadly lacking in context (very prescriptive, but no indiciation of what the relative importance is or why one is doing them). Perhpas QTonPi is aimed at more professional / experienced programmers, but it's a shame that this barrier exists; I'll perservere, but there doesn't yet appear to be enough written about it to have much chance of hitting answers with Google.

rajivmr

Wed May 30, 2012 1:33 am

Please check out QtonPi wiki pages for more information.
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-RaspberryPi
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Contribute

We don't usually monitor Raspberry Pi foundation forum pages. Most of us handout on QtonPi mailing list and IRC channel.
http://qt-project.org/wiki/QtonPi-Collaborate

DuncanKennedy

Wed May 30, 2012 4:22 am

Thanks for the information. I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I have a chance.

I hope you'll consider encouraging some of the other QtonPi mailing list members to start posting and sharing their experience here as well. You've got access here to a large group of resourceful people if you can only engage their enthusiasm.
Duncan
The mind is an infinite resource, provided you don't waste it!

qgil

Wed May 30, 2012 4:57 pm

Thank you for the interest!

I'm confident more QtonPi users and contributors will be around as soon as we get the boards. Currently only a couple of core developers (like Rajiv) have them and they focus their time on QtonPi development.

UAVChris

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Well after much holding my eyes open with match sticks and a lot of time I have Qt5 running on the Pi. I'm new to linux and Qt so you can imagine the taffle I got into trying to understand what I was supposed to be doing to get every it all installed properly.

I'm no new comer to IDE's, coding or installing software and operating systems, but I found it a challenge to get the development environment -- the qtonpi image running on the pi - Qt creator running on a 64 bit machine - finding libraries which where missing - amongst a myriad of other details to sort out, not a straight forward experience for a newbie to linux and Qt.

So its working I said ------ well I can compile a Qt Quick 2.0 app then deploy and run on the RPi. What I cant do is find enough documentation about how to get a working mouse, not sure if its something to do with a build issue with Qt or if I'm just missing a plugin, I can find very little info about mouse drivers and their configuration in Qt on the RPi or Qt and Embedded linux for that matter.

If anyone has any guidance about configuring a mouse with qt5 on the Pi I'm all ears and would appreciate any help ???

A quick note - Qt Creator has a form designer called Qt Designer that, as far as I know works fine with Qt Quick 1.0 apps, it doesn't work with Qt Quick 2.0 as yet. You get an error saying qml2puppet not found, its something to do with rendering QML in Qt Designer, so no fancy form designer yet.

I have a specific app in mind for the Pi and would very much appreciate any help with getting the mouse working so I can get on with it.

Hope you enjoy your Pi !!

miguel_belbut

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi, UAVChris,

Since you managed to get it running, could you provide some details on the steps? Namely, I have problems compiling due to apparently missing libraries, and am curious about which libraries did you have to install and how.

Miguel

miguel_belbut

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:49 pm

Ok, I might have searched a bit more before posting. I found the solution in the qtonpi bug tracker https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTONPI-11, which involves installing the proper (32bit) version of that library. In Ubuntu 12.04, this did the trick:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libmpc2:i386
Now I can compile the hello_world sample, and have it run on the RPi, straight from QTCreator. But, it doesn't display anything - only a white background, as most of the other included demos - even if I change the size of the screen element.
I am running on a TV via composite video.

Return to “General programming discussion”